No IDP holders - Exempt from tests
Before the conversion
Steps You have to take
Driver's license center tour
- Are you registered as a resident of Japan? - YES
- Do you have a valid non-Japanese driver's license? - YES
- Can you provide official document(s) to prove that you physically stayed in the license-issuing country for more than 90 days after obtaining your license? - YES
- Do you have an International Driving Permit based on the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic? - NO
- Was your driver's license issued in one of "Designated Countries, Region, and States" listed below? - YES
Before the conversion
You can start preparing the required document right away.
Please come to Resource Center to make an appointment.
Steps you have to take
Step1: Contact the Resource Center
- Submit a request form from here to give detailed information on your driver's license as well as to request to make an appointment for a document screening session at the Driver's License Center
- The Resource Center will contact you once your appointment has been confirmed. We will let you know what documents are required for your case.
Step 2: Start collecting required documents
- Please refer here for the required documents
Step 3: Document screening at the Driver's License Center
- Document Screening session at the driver's license center
Step 4: Once your documents are accepted, you will receive a driver's license on the same day.
*Please click on the items to see detailed information
1. The conversion might be refused if the validity period of the license is less than 30 days.
2. If the first acquisition date is not indicated on the license, official document(s) that states the first acquisition date will be required.
The translation can be done either by JAF(Japan Automobile Federation) or a consulate of the license-issuing country
*Click here to see how to get the translation from JAF
Passports are used to confirm your physical presence in the license-issuing country for more than 90 days along with the documents you will present. Thus, the passports must cover the period mentioned on the documents you will present.
Residence certificate issued within 1 year prior to submission (if the one you already have was issued more than a year ago, you need to get a new one)
Your personal number MUST NOT be printed
Click here to see how to get the certificate from a municipal office
You have to bring your resident card as well as a resident certificate
This can be challenging as the Driver's License Center is particular about these documents.
You need to provide them with at least 2 documents to prove that you stayed in the license-issuing country for more than 90 days after acquisition.
Please visit Resource Center to inquire the License Center about the sufficient documents.
The photos must be the ones taken within 6 months prior to submission
- Size of the photos: H3cm×W2.4cm
You can have the photos taken at the Driver's Licence Center (600JPY)
Please bring this even if it is already expired
Click here to download a printable checklist
Driver's License Center tour
Resource Center staff drives you to the Driver's License Center every Wednesday and Friday and provides translation service there
Wednesday morning tour: 8:00am - 12:30pm(approx.)
Wednesday afternoon tour: 12:00pm - 5:30pm(approx.)
Friday tour: 7:30am - 12:30pm(approx.)
Wednesday morning tour: In front of Jimmy's / 8:00am
Wednesday afternoon tour: In front of Jimmy's / 12:00pm
Friday tour: In front of Jimmy's / 7:30am
|License issuance fee||2,050JPY|
Foreign driver's license conversion basic information (supermelf.com)
Basic information on knowledge test (supermelf.com)
Practice online knowledge test
Basic information for those who take practical driving test
Practical test tips (supermelf.com)
Okinawa driving guide
OkiJETs website (website for English teachers living in Okinawa)