Purchasing a Car
Yellow Plate Car (Kei car)
- Inkan (if you have one)
White Plate Car
- Inkan certificate(印鑑証明書) *From your municipal office
- The certificate of parking space* (Not required for residents of villages)
How to find a car
1. On OIST TIDA
Please contact the seller directly.
2. Cross Road(クロスロード)
Cross Road is a website where you can find on sale cars posted by car dealershops on the entire island. Please use google translate and see the instruction below to find a car you like! Feel free to bring the one(s) that you are interested in with questions that you may have so that Resource Cetner can contact the car dearler as a translator.
How to get a Certificate of Parking(Shako Shoumeisho)
1. Get a permission and a document certify your parking space from your landlord or housing agency.
*Your landlord may charge you a hefty sum for this document.
2. Once you have the document from your landlord, take that to the police station. The police will verify that document as well as your parking space, and prepare a shako shomeisho which may take up to one week.
**For those who live in DK Select (大東建託）building: If a parkng space is included in your contract, you can take the contract to the Police station without a document from your housing agency.
Car Purchase Flow
Buying a Car from a Dealer
1. Find a car that you are interested
2. Make an appointment for a visit with the car dealer
3. Pay deposit to the dealer if you'd like to reserve the car
4. Collect required documents for ownership transfer
5. Submit the documents to the car dealer
Schedule for a car pick up
5. On pick up day: Pay the remaining amount and pick up the car
Buying from an Individual (Car Title Transfer)
Negociation and payment must be done between the seller and buyer.
There are two ways to do the ownership transfer.
1. Do by yourself
If you do it by yourself, please collect the necessary documents and take them to the Land Transport Bureau
2. Ask third party
Third party such as car garages or car insurance companies, can do the transfer your on behalf. It usually cost 3,500~4,000 JPY.
Necessary Documents from the Seller:
- Shakenshou, Car Registration Paper 車検証
- Compulsary Insurance 自賠責保険証明書
- Road Tax receipt or Certificate 自動車納税証明書
- Ownership Transfer Form 譲渡証明書
- Inkan Certificate 印鑑証明書
- Inkan 印鑑
- Recycle Ticket リサイクル券
- Resident Certificate 住民票 ONLY IF your current address and the address on the Shakenshou is different
- Letter of Attorney 委任状 *IF the seller or buyer or both ask someone else to do the ownership transfer
Average prices for second hand cars
The price may vary depending on which year the car was made, the condition, and the mileage.
Kei car (660 cc engine) Yellow license plate
- Suzuki Wagon R: ¥200,000 to ¥700,000
- Daihatsu Move: ¥200,000 to ¥700,000
Small car (around 1.3 to 1.8 Liters)
- Toyota Vitz: ¥300,000 to ¥800,000
- Toyota Corolla: ¥300,000 to ¥800,000
Regular (around 2 Liters)
- Nissan Skyline ¥500,000 to ¥800,000
- Honda Step Wagon ¥400,000 to ¥1,000,000
Other Necessary Things to Remember:
Other Useful Information
1. Automobile Acquisition Tax
When an automobile is purchased, regardless of whether it is new or used, the purchaser must pay an acquisition tax.
2. Disposition Fee
You have to pay a one-time disposition fee when you decide to purchase a car so that car dealer can reserve the car for you.