Green Okinawa (3) Catch the 20 or 120 bus from campus to Owan City shopping mall
In an effort to learn from each other about how to be more environmentally friendly in Okinawa, the Resource Centre is putting together information about green initiatives. Please feel welcome to join in and share your own tips and info.
Here's one from us:
Catch the 20 or 120 bus from campus to Owan City shopping mall
Buses 20 and 120 stop on the coastal road just beneath campus.
You can catch both buses at the 'Daigakuin daigaku mae' bus stop(1) and the ‘Tancha’ bus stop(2). The Daigakuin daigaku mae stop is the closest to campus. The Tancha bus stop has a shelter and a bench and is situated just before the Gajumaru craft shop.
Make sure you catch the bus going west, in the direction of the resort hotels.
Buses 20 and 120 serve the resort hotel area of Onna Village, Ryukyu Mura, and Route 58 in Yomitan including the Owan City shopping mall.
Alight for Owan City at bus stop ‘Hija Kushibaru’ just by Drug Store Mori(3).
To get the 20 or 120 back up to campus, use the pedestrian crossing to cross to the other side of Route 58 by the Toyota garage and Family Mart. Walk along Route 58 for about 100 meters in the direction of Onna and you'll find the bus stop ‘Hija’ in line with the trees in the 58 central reservation(4).
Bus 20 travels between the Naha bus terminal and the Nago bus terminal. Bus 120 travels between Naha airport and the Nago bus terminal. There are discounted fares on these buses. Children under 5 years old are free, children between 6 and 12 years old travel half price and people with a disability certificate travel half price. See references below for the full route map and more information about buses in Okinawa(5-7).
How to take bus 20 and 120(7)
- Buses run every 20 minutes or thereabouts, so take it easy and while away the time reading the OIST Resource Center tips on how to be more environmentally friendly!
- When the bus is approaching, make sure the driver can see you at the bus stop.
- Get on the bus using the front door and take a ticket from the machine where the driver sits.
- It's a good idea to tell the driver where you are getting off in case you are not sure where your stop is.
- The number printed on your ticket determines the fare you pay when you get off. The screen above the driver displays the ticket numbers with the corresponding fare below.
- Press the ‘stop’ button when you are approaching your stop.
- When you disembark, your fare will be displayed on the screen below your ticket number. At the time of writing (Feb 2020), the standard fare from Tancha bus stop beneath OIST to Hija Kushibaru bus stop at Owan City is 630 ¥. Children under 5 years old are free, children between 6 and 12 years old travel half price and people with a disability certificate travel half price.
- Put the exact fare in coins into the coin drop by the driver. If you don’t have coins, there is a machine which changes 1000 ¥ notes into ten 100 ¥ coins.
Share your own tips/comments for the post: https://groups.oist.jp/ja/resource-center/green-okinawa-3
Read previous Green Okinawa tips here: https://groups.oist.jp/resource-center/green-okinawa
This Green Okinawa post was developed in collaboration between Yoshimasa Nakamura (OIST Resource Center) and Kate Whitfield
(1)Daigakuin daigaku mae bus stop - In the link, the stop is hidden by a car.
Photo credit pngkey.com