Sell/Dispose of a car

How to get rid of your car?

1. Sell your car

You can sell your car to a used car dealer or to an individual. It is also possible to sell the car via TIDA. Make sure to cancel your liability insurance if you purchased it. Car title transfer can be done either by yourself (but we don't recommend it since all the paper work is written in Japanese and this process can be done at Transportation office in Urasoe) or ask their company, such as car garages or insurance comapnies to do it your on behalf. It usually costs less than 4,000 JPY.

2. Junk your card

Car junk and car deregistration available at Miyagi Kaitai in Chatan. No appointment required, however if you wish to deregister the car with them, please bring your car registration paper to Resource Center so that we can contact them in advance ro proceed the junk and deregistration smoothly.


Disposing of Vehicles

If you want to get rid of your vehicle, you must contact a private vehicle disposal company. Vehicle disposal is called “haisha” (廃車).

Vehicle Inspection & Insurance

Every 2 years, vehicles must pass a Government of Japan inspection that usually costs around ¥100,000. (For new automobiles, the initial period is 3 years) This cost should include the Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI), which is required by Japanese law and covers death and serious injury up to ¥30,000,000 per person, and hospitalization for up to ¥1,200,000. The inspection date is located on the windshield sticker and the color tells the year of expiration, and the number indicates the month. The date of the expiration is located on the back of the sticker. Car inspection is a carried out by private companies, and you can easily find a provider. Motorcycles of 400cc and above also require the inspection. You must keep your JCI certificate in the vehicle along with other vehicle documents.



Selling a Vehicle

If you wish to sell your vehicle individually, you must change the name on the vehicle registration. Visit the Land Transportation Office together with the buyer of your vehicle. Bring both the seller’s and buyer’s inkans, insurance documentation, proof of vehicle inspection, proof that you have paid the yearly road tax, and both people's registration cards and licenses. If you are selling a white plate car, you will also need both person's Inkan Registration Certificates, and the buyer's proof of parking space (shako shomeisho 車庫証明証), if required.