Compulsory Vehicle Inspection - JCI/Shaken(車検)

What is Shaken(or JCI)?

A vehicle inspection (shaken or JCI) is compulsory for all vehicles in every 2 years, it ensures that all vehicles on the road are properly maintained and safe to drive. The inspection also checks that vehicles have not been illegally modified.

The inspection must be carried out at an authorized service garage or at the Land Transport Bureau. Inspection and maintenance services can also be found at most car dealers. Before proceeding the inspection, the service garages and dealers normally provide you with an estimate but the price may also vary depending on the types of your vehicles such as Yellow-plate or White-plate.

Please check the expiry date of your vehicle inspection on your Shaken/JCI certificate referring the below image.

The expiry date is in this format: year/month/day

Western Calendar

Japanese Calendar






平成34(or 令和4)


平成33(or 令和3)


平成32(or 令和2)


平成 31


平成 30


平成 29


平成 28


平成 27


Basic Necessary Documents and item:

  1. Jidousha kensa shoumeisho: Known as the Shaken shou or JCI certificate, this document should be kept in the vehicle and contains information about the vehicle and its registered owner, as well as the date when the current shaken/JCI expires.
  2. Jidoushazei nouzei shoumeisho: Vehicle tax receipt.
  3. Jibaiseki hoken shoumeisho: Certificate of Compulsory Insurance, which should include the current and new certificate. The new certificate is for the following two years and can be bought at the inspection centre or through insurance companies.
  4. Inkan stamp: Inkan stamp which you used for purchasing the car.

Break down of Shaken costs

  • 車検基本料金Basic charges for the Shaken/JCI inspection
  • 法定24か月点検料Legal 24th-month inspection fee
  • 保安基準適合検査料Safety standards conformity inspection fee
  • 検査機器使用量等Usage fee for inspecting equipment etc.
  • 検査代行手数料Processing fee
  • 法定諸費用Legal expenses
  • 自動車重量税Automobile weight tax
  • 自賠責保険料Automobile liability insurance fee
  • 印紙代Revenue stamp fee
  • 整備料金Maintenance fee

These areas are checked by Shaken inspection:

  • Exterior - the vehicle must meet Japanese exterior regulations and not have illegal exterior modifications, such as extreme body kits that increase the exterior dimensions
  • Wheel Alignment - the vehicle’s wheels must be in-line and able to turn correctly
  • Speedometer Inspection - the vehicle’s speedometer must be accurate
  • Headlamp Inspection - the vehicle’s headlights must be correctly placed and aligned
  • Brake Inspection - the vehicle’s brakes must work correctly
  • Exhaust Gas/Muffler Inspection- tests carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon emissions along with exhaust noise level
  • Undercarriage Inspection - inspects suspension parts and checks for rust

Should a car not meet any of the test standards, repairs must be made before passing the Shaken inspection.

English speaking and nearby garages

List of English speaking and nearby car garages




Q. How long does inspection take?

A. It varies from case to case. If the car needs repairment to pass the inspection it may take several days.

It is possible to ask the service garage to provide you with a loaner car while your car is undergoing the inspection.

Q. I pay automobile/light-sized vechile tax every year. Do I still have to pay weight tax which is listed as one of the shaken costs?

A. Yes. They are different types of taxes. Automobile tax/light-sized tax is levied by a local government(prefecture/municipalities), while the weight tax is levied by the central government.

The weight tax is normally paid along with other costs when a car goes through compulsory bi-annual Shaken inspection(JCI), while automobile tax/light-sized vehicle tax must be paid separately by the owner in the beginning of every fiscal year. (usually the due is 31st May)