How to apply for an official translation of your driver's license
This page illustrates how you can get an official translation of your driver's license from JAF(Japan Automobile Federation).
How to apply for an official translation of your driver's license from JAF
Necessary documents and fees:
- Photocopy of the license issued in your country (both sides in color)
- JAF application form (can be downloaded from here)
- Fee: around 4,800JPY
1) Application fee for the translation: 4,000JPY
2) Envelope and shipping cost: 780JPY
*1) is to be enclosed in the envelope, 2) is to be paid directly at a post office
What you have to do
- At the post office, purchase a registered postal cash envelope showing the sentence below. It is 21JPY in two different sizes (either size is ok as long as the application form and money fit inside)
"現金書留封筒を1枚ください (I would like to purchase a registered postal cash envelope)"
- Fill in the label on the envelope as below.
※ Fill in the following address for the "JAF address"
photocopies of your driver's license(both sides in colour)
filled out application form
and give your signatures within three circles after sealing.
- Show the following sentence to the personnel at the counter:
"4,000 円が入っています。 (I enclosed 4,000JPY)"
- Receive your change and three receipts. Keep them until you get the translation delivered.
This mail is also insured, therefore if something happens, you can claim the refund.