IDP Holders - Exempt from tests

Before the conversion
Steps You have to take
Required documents
Driver's license center tour
Conversion Fee
Useful link

You Answered

  1. Are you registered as a resident of Japan? - YES
  2. Do you have a valid non-Japanese driver's license? - YES
  3. Can you provide official document(s) to prove that you physically stayed in the license-issuing country for more than 90 days after obtaining your license? - YES
  4. Do you have an International Driving Permit based on the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic? - YES
  5. Was your driver's license issued in one of "Designated Countries, Region, and States" listed below? - YES

Before the conversion

  • You can drive in Japan with an International Driving Permit(IDP) for up to 1 year from the date of your entry to Japan or the issue date of your IDP, whichever date comes first.

  • You can start preparing the required document right away.

Steps you have to take

Step1: Contact the Resource Center

  • Submit a request form from here to give detailed information on your driver's license as well as to request to make an appointment for a document screening session at the Driver's License Center
  • The Resource Center will contact you once your appointment has been confirmed. We will let you know what documents are required for your case.

Step 2: Start collecting required documents

  • Please refer here for the required documents

Step 3: Document screening at the Driver's License Center

  • Document Screening session at the driver's license center

Step 4: Once your documents are accepted, you will receive a driver's license on the same day.


Required Documents

*Please click on the items to see detailed information

1. The conversion might be refused if the validity period of the license is less than 30 days.
2. If the first acquisition date is not indicated on the license, official document(s) that states the first acquisition date will be required.

The translation can be done either by JAF(Japan Automobile Federation) or a consulate of the license-issuing country
You can obtain the Japanese translation from here. (Credit card is required)

*If you don't have a credit card, click here to see how to get the translation from JAF

Passports are used to confirm your physical presence in the license-issuing country for more than 90 days along with the documents you will present. Thus, the passports must cover the period mentioned on the documents you will present.

Residence certificate issued within 1 year prior to submission (if the one you already have was issued more than a year ago, you need to get a new one)

Your personal number MUST NOT be printed

Click here to see how to get the certificate from a municipal office

You have to bring your resident card as well as a resident certificate

This can be challenging as the Driver's License Center is particular about these documents.

You need to provide them with at least 2 documents to prove that you stayed in the license-issuing country for more than 90 days after acquisition.

Examples of the documents:

Please visit Resource Center to inquire the License Center about the sufficient documents.

The photos must be the ones taken within 6 months prior to submission

- Size of the photos: H3cm×W2.4cm

You can have the photos taken at the Driver's Licence Center (600JPY)


Please bring this even if it is already expired

Click here to download a printable checklist

Driver's License Center tour

Resource Center staff drives you to the Driver's License Center every Wednesday and Friday and provides translation service there


Wednesday tour:   7:50 am - 1:00 pm(approx.)
​Friday tour:   7:20 am - 1:00 pm(approx.)

Meeting time

Wednesday tour:  In front of AEON / 7:50 am
Friday tour:          In front of AEON / 7:20 am

    Conversion Fees

    Application fee 2,550JPY
    License issuance fee 2,050JPY

      Useful Links

      • Foreign driver's license conversion basic information (

      • Basic information on knowledge test (

      • Practice online knowledge test

      • Basic information for those who take practical driving test

      • Practical test tips (

      • Okinawa driving guide

      • OkiJETs website (website for English teachers living in Okinawa)