- Seatbelts for all passengers are mandatory in Japan.
- Children under 6 are required to use a child car seat.
- If you see Japanese children put their hand in the air, palm toward the traffic, this means they will across the street. Please prepare to stop.
- Japan has a zero-tolerance policy towards drink-driving, penalty on DUI offense is always heavy.
If an accident happened
- Call a toll-free 110 (Police)
Operator will connect you to an English speaking staff on duty, will arrange to facilitate communication in English.
- Follow the guideline, provide the following information.
- Driver’s name, contact details (eg. Cellphone number)
- Location of the accident
- Nature of the accident (if anyone injured etc.)
- Call your insurance company immediately.
(OIST strongly recommend CHUBB Insurance that provides 24/7 English response service ).
- Never leave the scene of an accident until the police have authorized you to do so. Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious crime for which you may be prosecuted.
- If you are taken to a hospital by ambulance and need an interpreter, please call OIST Help Line 098-966-8989.
- When caused an accident resulting a death or injury of person, by driving under influence of alcohol, drugs etc.
Death: Up to 20 years in Prison
Injury: Up to 15 years in Prison