Please list TSVP/OIST as one of your affiliations when publishing about research (partially) conducted during your visit.
Please also include a short phrase in the acknowledgements, see below.
Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program (TSVP), Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Onna, 904-0495, Japan
This research was conducted while visiting the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) through the Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program (TSVP).
Acknowledgement in case of salary:
This research was conducted while funded by the Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program (TSVP) at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST).
*EVSP visitors please replace accordingly with "Experimental Visiting Scholar Program (EVSP)"
Visiting Program in Numbers
|FY22||FY23 (scheduled)||FY24 (expected)|
|Total number of visitors||29||95|
|Visiting Scholars, incl. Domestic||24||20||25|
|TSVP Thematic Programs (participants)||0||2 (40+30)||3 (90)|
|Total number of Talk participants (average)||1042 (56)||1566 (56)|
|Youtube views, running total (average per video)||2824 (202)||5000
|Workshops (total participants)||3 (80)||3+|
|Other events (career talks, mini courses, outreach talks)||5||5+|
|Visitor Interactions with OIST units, running total||25||38|
|Number of Countries visitors came from, running total||12||18|
"Do octopuses dream?" nature video summarizing the paper on "Wake-like skin patterning and neural activity during Octopus Sleep" that resulted from a collaboration of TSVP Visiting Scholar Leenoy Meshulam and OIST professor Sam Reiter.
- Shinichi Nakagawa was named as "Highly Cited Researcher" in the Cross-Field category of 2023. He was a TSVP Visiting Scholar from 2023/03/02 to 2023/09/30
T. Froese, N. Weber, I. Shpurov, T. Ikegami (2023). From autopoiesis to self-optimization: Toward an enactive model of biological regulation. Biosystems 230, 104959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2023.104959
C. Claramunt, & M. P. Dube (2023). A brief review of the evolution of GIScience since the NCGIA researchagenda initiatives. Journal of Spatial Information Science, 26, 137–150. https://doi.org/10.5311/JOSIS.2023.26.30
S. Burke, P. Pottier, M. Lagisz, E. L. Macartney, T. Ainsworth, S. M. Drobniak, & S. Nakagawa (2023). The impact of rising temperatures on the prevalence of coral diseases and its predictability: A global meta-analysis. Ecology Letters, 26(8), 1039–1050. https://doi.org/10.1111/ele.14266
S. Nakagawa & M. Lagisz (2023). Next steps after airing disagreement on a scientific issue with policy implications: A meta-analysis, multi-lab replication and adversarial collaboration. BMC Biology, 21(1), 153. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12915-023-01567-5
S. Nakagawa, M. Lagisz, R. E. O’Dea, P. Pottier, J. Rutkowska, A. M. Senior, Y. Yang, & D. W. Noble (2023). Orchard 2.0: An R package for visualising meta-analyses with Orchard Plots. Methods in Ecology and Evolution. https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210x.14152
S. Nakagawa, Y. Yang, E. L. Macartney, R. Spake, & M. Lagisz (2023). Quantitative evidence synthesis: A practical guide on meta-analysis, meta-regression, and publication bias tests for Environmental Sciences. Environmental Evidence, 12(1), 20. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13750-023-00301-6
L. Puggioni, G. Boffetta, & S. Musacchio (2023). Flocking turbulence of microswimmers in confined domains. Physical Review E, 107(5), 055107. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreve.107.055107
- A. Pophale, K. Shimizu, T. Mano, T. L. Iglesias, K. Martin, M. Hiroi, K. Asada, P. G. Andaluz, T. T. Van Dinh, L. Meshulam, & S. Reiter (2023). Wake-like skin patterning and neural activity during Octopus Sleep. Nature. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-06203-4
(see also the above nature video, or listen to the nature podcast of 2023-06-28)
- T. Nakagawa-Lagisz, & M. Lagisz (2023). Shining a light on duckweed: exploring the effects of artificial light at night (ALAN) on growth and pigmentation. PeerJ 11:e16371 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.16371
- Article about the first Thematic Program on "Exact Asymptotics: From Fluid Dynamics to Quantum Geometry"
- Article about the French-Japanese Seminar on "Metaverse and Virtual Reality"
- Articles about the research on "Octopus sleep is surprisingly similar to humans" which was published in the journal "nature" in June 2023. It results from a collaboration between Visiting Scholar Leenoy Meshulam and OIST's Professor Sam Reiter and his group.
So far 9 TSVP Talks, 1 evening public lecture with Japanese Interpretation
Workshops and Seminars
TSVP visitors participated in the following workshops at OIST
- OIST Workshop "Representation Theory of Hecke Algebras and Categorification" (Mahir Can, Jon Kujawa, and TSVP alumni Chris Bowman)
- Career Talk by "Systematic Reviews for Beginners" Malgorzata Lagisz
- Career Talk: "How to write a lot and well" by Shinichi Nakagawa
- Big Geographical Data: a digital revolution for transportation studies by Christophe Claramunt
- Career Talk by Jochen Steil
- Outreach Talk at a local High school by Shinichi Nakagawa
- Asymptotic Symmetries lecture series by Daniel Grumiller
- Jochen Steil: Three seminar talks in CNRU host unit of Prof. Jun Tani on neural models in robotics, interactive learning of kinematics and modern methods for redundancy resolution and force control
- Participating in the Sustainable Transport Hackathon (Christophe Claramunt)
- EU-Japan Grant application (Christophe Claramunt, OIST, NAIST, European partners)
Y.-C. Chen, R. Fosdick, E. Fried. "Isometries between given surfaces and the isometric deformation of a single unstretchable material surface." Journal of Elasticity 151 (2022), 159–175. (doi:10.1007/s10659-022-09909-0)
M.A. Kanso, M. Naime, V. Chaurasia, K. Tontiwattanakul, E. Fried, A.J. Giacomin. "Coronavirus pleomorphism." Physics of Fluids 34 (2022), 063101-1–10. (doi:10.1063/5.0094771)
Y.-C. Chen, R. Fosdick, E. Fried. "Reply to van der Heijden and Starostin." Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series A, Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 478 (2022), 20210856-1–9. (doi:10.1098/rspa.2021.0856)
Y.-C. Chen, R. Fosdick, E. Fried. "A novel dimensional reduction for the equilibrium study of inextensional material surfaces." Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 169 (2022), 105068-1–27. (doi:10.1016/j.jmps.2022.105068)
Y.-C. Chen, E. Fried. "Conformal deformations of a dilational material surface." Journal of Elasticity, in press. (doi:10.1007/s10659-023-10003-2)
G. Boffetta, S. Musacchio, A. Mazzino, M. E. Rosti. "Transient inverse energy cascade in free surface turbulence." Phys. Rev. Fluids 8, 034601 (2023). (doi:10.1103/PhysRevFluids.8.034601)
S. Crew, A. Goswami, R. Osburn. "Resurgence of Habiro elements." arXiv (2023). https://arxiv.org/abs/2304.07001
Y.-C. Chen, "A mechanical theory of growth." Submitted to Journal of Elasticity.
Y.-C. Chen, E. Fried, S. Janssens, "Wringling of circular suspended films."
- OIST Institutional News: "OIST launches new Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program", 2023-05-23
- News article about Robert Osburn's visit in the University College Dublin's "UCD Today" magazine (p. 34)
19 general-audience Talks (18 TSVP and 1 EVSP) with a total of 1042 participants, highest attendance of a single talk: 109 participants.
- Collective Intelligence in Living/Non-Livings Populations (26 participants)
- Silver Workshop V: Complex Geometry and related topics (24 participants)
- ALIFE Workshop 2022 (25 participants)
- [Mini-course] BV functions in Carnot groups | Speaker Dr. Sebastiano Nicolussi Golo, University of Jyväskylä
- Mini Course: Control and Computation in Living Systems by Timothy O'Leary
- Two outreach talks at local schools in Okinawa (Leenoy Meshulam)
- Career talk by Kerstin Lenk
- Classical music concert with a violin solo by Visiting Scholar Shiro Ikeda
- Art/dance performance in Naha by Takashi Ikegami
FY2020 (Visiting Mathematics Professor Program)
- J. E. Greene and A. Lobb. "The Rectangular Peg Problem" (2020). arXiv:2005.09193. (See also this Quanta Magazine article)
J. McCoy, G. Wheeler, and Y. Wu. "Higher Order Curvature Flows of Plane Curves with Generalised Neumann Boundary Conditions" (2020). PDF
J. A. McCoy. "Contracting Self-Similar Solutions of Nonhomogeneous Curvature Flows" (2020). PDF
J. A. McCoy. "Contraction of Convex Hypersurfaces by Nonhomogeneous Functions of Curvature" (2020). PDF
S. Y. Kholmatov and P. Piovano. "Existence of Minimizers for the SDRI Model" (Submitted 2021). arXiv
P. Piovano and I. Velčić. "Microscopical Justification of the Winterbottom Problem for Well-Separated Lattices" (Submitted 2021). arXiv:2111.13604
P. Piovano and I. Velčić. "Microscopical Justification of Solid-State Wetting and Dewetting" J. Nonlinear Sci. 32, 32 (2022). arXiv:2010.08787
- OIST Presidential Lecture: "The Rectangular Peg Problem" by Andrew Lobb (2020/07/30) https://vimeo.com/444445868