1-2. Flight / Pets / Driving License

1-2-1. Flight reservation

Relocation Team will book your flight ticket after hearing from you about the issuance of your visa. We will bear the cost of international as well as domestic flights through the specific travel agency. It will be one way ticket; round trip itinerary is not allowed.

The validity of issued visa is 3 months. You will need to enter Japan within the validity period.

You will need to be physically in Okinawa on your appointment date.

Flight options and services

Please kindly inform us of following points if you would like to have following services in aircraft:

  • Bassinet
  • Special meal such as Vegetarian, Gluten free, etc.
  • Seat preference

1-2-2. Quarantine for pets

There are many steps you must take if you are planning to bring your pets to Okinawa. Please visit the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries: Quarantine system for dogs and cats to learn the correct method.

1-2-3. Pharmaceutical advice

If you are planning to bring medications, you will need to submit a certificate of import (輸入確認証) to the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

You can find a detailed explanation in the Embassy of Japan in the United States of America: Bringing Medications into Japan

Please contact OIST Clinic to seek further assistance.

1-2-4. International Driving Permit (IDP)

If you are planning to drive in Japan, you need to have certain types of International Driving Permit (IDP) before leaving your country. If you would like to make sure whether your IDP is valid in Japan or not, please check this list of international driver's licenses that can be used in Japan.

If you have IDP but it is not valid in Japan or have a valid driving license which is valid only in your country, you will have to get a Japanese driving license.

Drive with a foreign license (for those who has driver’s licenses issued in certain countries.)

If you have a driver's license issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, Estonia, or Taiwan, and meet the following requirements, you will be allowed to drive in Japan.

 1.  A Japanese translation* must be carried along with the original license.
 2.  Your entry into Japan must be less than one year.
      (the effective period of this scheme is one year from the date of entry into Japan.)

*The translation must be done by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) or your embassy/consulate- general of Japan in your country. (Not every embassy or consulate offices provide this translation service.)
Please consult with relocation team staff to prepare in advance for those who possess driver’s licenses issued in the above-mentioned country and wish to drive straight after arrival in Okinawa.

To learn more, please visit the following websites:   Drive with a foreign license (For individuals with driver’s licenses issued in Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, Monaco, Estonia and Taiwan)Foreign Driver’s Licenses and International Driving Permits

Please visit the OIST Resource Center’s website to learn more about driving in Japan.