3-2. Visa renew/change

3-2: Visa 

3-2-1. About Residence Card 

A residence Card is actually a visa that allows you to work and reside in Japan and it is very important to renew the card before its expiry date. You can start the renewal/change procedure prior to 3 months from the expiry date of your Residence Card.

More information on Residence Card can also be found in the following:   1-1-4. Residence Card

3-2-2. Renew or Change? 


Please visit Residence card Renew or Change? to find out visa renew/change procedure.

Please contact HR VISA Team for any inquiry: visa-hr@oist.jp

Learn More:

Application for extension of period of stay | Immigration Service Agency of Japan
Application for change of status of residence | Immigration Service Agency of Japan

3-2-3. Fees 

You will need to pay the fee by Revenue Stamp (収入印紙) when you receive a new card. You can buy it at OIST Jimmy’s or JP post office. Amount of Revenue Stamp differ by the application type. 

  • 4,000 yen for normal visa change and renew. 
  • 8,000 yen for Application for Permanent Residence  

3-2-4. Submit Scanned copy to HR Visa Team

HR will require you to submit scanned copy of your new Residence Card for storing personal data. Please submit it within 5 days once you receive the card. 

3-2-5. Bank to update your card information

You will need to visit the bank that your account belongs to update your Residence Card information. The bank might freeze your account if you do not update it.