Introduction to Intellectual Property
Did you know OIST has more than 90 awarded patents?
Intellectual Property (IP) is part of your everyday creative activities. This introductory seminar will give a basic idea of IP and will also cover an overview of how OIST protects and promote our IP.
Everyone is welcome.
I. Introduction to intellectual Property (60 min)
- Patents, Copyrights, Trademarks, and Trade Secrets
- Commercialization Considerations
- Practical Examples
Guest Speaker: Chris Tanner, Patent Attorney, FYPA, PLLC
Guest Speaker BIO: Chris Tanner is an experienced intellectual property attorney based in Florida, US. In his professional career, Mr. Tanner has:
- 22 years patent prosecution experience
- worked as a patent examiner at US Patent and Trademark Office
- drafted and filed >450 Utility patent applications
- been involved in the prosecution and management of >1500 Utility patent applications
- 6 years patent litigation experience
- 10 years trademark prosecution experience
- 2 years trademark litigation experience, including settlement negotiations and stand-still agreements before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB)
In addition, he is an inventor himself, having been awarded 7 US patents.
II. OIST Support for Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer (15 min)
- OIST Policies, Rules, and Procedures (PRP)
- Invention Disclosure
- Invention Evaluation Committee
- Marketing and Licensing of Intellectual Property
Speaker: Technology Licensing Section
III. OIST Support for Technology Development and Entrepreneurship (10 min)
- Proof-of-Concept Program
- Entrepreneurship Programs and Services
Speaker: R&D Cluster Program Section and Business Development Section