Skip to main content
- Ph.D. (University of Tokyo, 1991)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, UC San Diego (1991-1993)
- Research Associate, Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the Salk Institute (1993-1994)
- Senior Researcher, Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International (ATR, 1994-2011)
- Principal Investigator, OIST (2004-2011)
- Professor, OIST Graduate University (2011-present)
- Donald O. Hebb Award, International Neural Network Society (2018)
- College of Fellows, International Neural Network Society (2013-)
- Commendation for Science and Technology, Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (2012)
- Brainscience Award on Creativity (2009)
- Nakaaki Tsukahara Memorial Award (2007)
- JSPS Award (2007)
- 1999-2002 Vice President, Japanese Neural Network Society
- 1999-2003 Director, Neuro-Informatics Summer School
- 2004- Co-organizer, Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course
- 2008- Co-editor in Chief, Neural Networks
- 2009-2011 Board of Governors, International Neural Network Society
- 2010 Program Chair, 33rd Annual Meeting of Japan Neuroscience Society
- 2011 Executive Chair, 21st Annual Conference of Japanese Neural Network Society
- 2011-2014 Vice Provost for Research, OIST
- Doya K, Taniguchi T (2019). Toward evolutionary and developmental intelligence. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences, 29, 91-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cobeha.2019.04.006
- Miyazaki K, Miyazaki KW, Yamanaka A, Tokuda T, Tanaka KF, Doya K (2018). Reward probability and timing uncertainty alter the effect of dorsal raphe serotonin neurons on patience. Nature Communications, 9:2048.
- Tokuda T, Yoshimoto J, Shimizu Y, Okada G, Takamura M, Okamoto Y, Yamawaki S, Doya K (2018). Identification of depression subtypes and relevant brain regions using a data-driven approach. Scientific Reports, 8, 14082. http://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-32521-z
- Fermin AS, Yoshida T, Yoshimoto J, Ito M, Tanaka SC, Doya K (2016). Model-based action planning involves cortico-cerebellar and basal ganglia networks. Scientific Reports, 6, 31378.
- Funamizu A, Kuhn B, Doya K (2016). Neural substrate of dynamic Bayesian inference in the cerebral cortex. Nature Neuroscience, 19, 1682–1689.
- Ito M, Doya K (2015). Distinct neural representation in the dorsolateral, dorsomedial, and ventral parts of the striatum during fixed- and free-choice tasks. Journal of Neuroscience, 35, 3499-3514.
- Elfwing S, Doya K (2014). Emergence of polymorphic mating strategies in robot colonies. PLoS One. 9(4):e93622. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0093622
- Miyazaki KW, Miyazaki K, Tanaka KF, Yamanaka A, Takahashi A, Tabuchi S, Doya K (2014). Optogenetic activation of dorsal raphe serotonin neurons enhances patience for future rewards. Current Biology. doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2014.07.041
- Moren J, Shibata T, Doya K (2013). The mechanism of saccade motor pattern generation investigated by a large-scale spiking neuron model of the superior colliculus. PLoS One 8, e57134.
- Nakano T, Yoshimoto J, Doya K (2013). A model-based prediction of the calcium responses in the striatal synaptic spines depending on the timing of cortical and dopaminergic inputs and post-synaptic spikes. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, 7:119.
- Miyazaki KW, Miyazaki K, Doya K (2012). Activation of dorsal raphe serotonin neurons is necessary for waiting for delayed rewards. Journal of Neuroscience 32, 10451-10457.
- Elfwing S, Uchibe E, Doya K, Christensen HI (2011). Darwinian embodied evolution of the learning ability for survival. Adaptive Behavior, 19, 101-120. 2011.2
- Ito M, Doya K (2011). Multiple representations and algorithms for reinforcement learning in the cortico-basal ganglia circuit. Current Opinion in Neurobiology 21: , 2011.4
- Miyazaki K, MiyazakiKW, Doya K (2011). Activation of dorsal raphe serotonin neurons underlies waiting for delayed rewards. Journal of Neuroscience 31: 469-479.
- Nakano T, Doi T, Yoshimoto J, Doya K (2010). A kinetic model of dopamine- and calcium-dependent striatal synaptic plasticity. PLoS Computational Biology 6(2):e1000670.
- Ito M, Doya K (2009). Validation of decision-making models and analysis of decision variables in the rat basal ganglia. Journal of Neuroscience 29: 9861-9874.
- Doya K (2008). Modulators of decision making. Nature Neuroscience 11: 410-416.
- Doya K (2007). Reinforcement learning: Computational theory and biological mechanisms. HFSP Journal 1: 30-40.
- Doya K, Uchibe E (2005) The Cyber Rodent project: Exploration of adaptive mechanisms for self-preservation and self-reproduction. Adaptive Behavior, 13, 149-160.
- Samejima K, Ueda K, Doya K, Kimura M (2005). Representation of action-specific reward values in the striatum. Science 301: 1337-1340.
- Morimoto J, Doya K (2005). Robust reinforcement learning. Neural Computation, 17, 335-359.
- Tanaka SC, Doya K, Okada G, Ueda K, Okamoto Y, and Yamawaki S (2004). Prediction of Immediate and Future Rewards Differentially Recruits Cortico-Basal Ganglia Loops. Nature Neuroscience 7 (8), 887-893.
- Doya K (2002). Metalearning and neuromodulation. Neural Networks 15: 495-506.
- Doya K (2000). Reinforcement learning in continuous time and space. Neural Computation, 12, 219-245.
- Doya K (2000). Complementary roles of basal ganglia and cerebellum in learning and motor control. Current Opinion in Neurobiology 10: 732-739.
- Doya K (1999). What are the computations of the cerebellum, the basal ganglia, and the cerebral cortex. Neural Networks 12: 961-974.
- Doya K., Selverston A.I. (1994). Dimension reduction of biological neuron models by artificial neural networks. Neural Computation, 6, 696-717.
- Doya K, Yoshizawa S (1989). Adaptive neural oscillator using continuous-time back-propagation learning. Neural Networks, 2, 375-386.
- Doya K, Ishii S, Pouget A, Rao RPN (2007). Bayesian Brain: Probabilistic Approaches to Neural Coding, MIT Press.
- 銅谷賢治 (2007). 計算神経科学への招待. SGCライブラリ第60巻, サイエンス社.
- First place in age group, Marine Road Triathlon, Okinawa (2013).
- Third place in age group, Miyakojima Triathlon (2008, 2010, 2014).
- Finisher, Ironman World Championship in Hawaii (2006, 2011).