Virtual Activities & Information
Fun Ways to Keep Busy During Social Distancing
We understand that the COVID-19 outbreak is causing changes to our everyday lives and maybe a bit of stress. Staying active can alleviate the anxiety of being physically isolated or having to cancel your normal routine due to COVID- 19 restrictions. We have compiled a list of activities that you can do alone or with your household.
This page will be continually updated, so make sure to check often.
Do you have more link suggestions or creative ideas?
Email Recreation-Services@oist.jp if you:
- Have more links to be added here.
- Want to share a review, tips, or pictures of an activity you tried.
- Have a creative activity or idea that require group participation while still abiding by COVID-19 guidelines.
We want to include as many options as possible to help you through this time.
- Visit the PBS and PBS Teaching Materials for ideas on educating children during their time away from school.
- Learn a new skill like coding and coding for children
- Let's Learn about OCEANS with NOAA
- Daily Writing Prompts
- Storyline Online - Famous people read you and your children a story!
- Art links for children
OIST Language Section recommendations
- Hiragana/Katakana learning resources
- Detailed Japanese grammar explanations (beginner- advanced)
- NHK News Web Easy- updated daily, has links to the original news
- Kanji-reading extension for Firefox
- JLPT practice tests
- JapanesePod101 (starting from the basics)
- Bilingual News (podcasts in English/Japanese)
- Children’s books in Japanese
- Mouse-over English to Japanese dictionary for Chrome- iKnow!ポップアップ辞書:
- Resources for K-12 teachers (if parents end up having to teach their kids at home)
- Site with worksheets, PowerPoints and video lessons to download
- BBC learning English
- Writing practice
- Conversation videos for practice
- Reading activities with questions
- Khan academy (all academic subjects, not just language)
- EdX (all academic subjects, not just language)
OIST Schooling Options and links to activities
- Visit your favorite animals via live cam at the San Diego Zoo.
- Tokyo Fuji Art Museum virtual tour
- Noribetsu Marine Park FB page of animals
- Hogwarts Digital Escape Room
- Explore live webcam for animals and locations all over the world.
- Live webcam to the Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Watch Netflix remotely with friends watch party on Netflix
- Netflix Party is a Chrome extension for watching Netflix remotely with friends, e.g., for movie nights with that long-distance special someone. It synchronizes video playback and adds group chat.
- Play Together - Play Nintendo
- Museum closed? No problem. Take the virtual tour of the Louvre
- 12 museums from around the world - virtual tours
- Over 30 Virtual Field Trips
- Virtual tour of United States National Parks
- Virtual tour of some of Europe's famous castles
- Bolshoi Theatre to live stream shows
- National Theatre in London - live streaming every Thursday
- Free musicals and plays
Here are a few sites to keep you motivated.
- OrangeTheory Fitness
- Fitness Blender - Home workouts
- 16 Free Basic Yoga Videos
- Staying physically fit during self-quarantine
- PopSugar Fitness
Dealing with Stress
Ganjuu recommended: Please visit their website Ganjuu Support Services
Additional items for relaxation:
- Calm your mind and check in with your body - mindfulness
- Take care of your body through meditation and other related topics you might find interesting.