Classes for Children in Okinawa
- DANCE: From 3 years old, kids can attend dance class in Koza Town at a school called 'WhatzUp'. https://dance-juice.okinawa/studio/whatsup/
- COOKING: A cooking class every two months on Sunday for kindergarten and elementary school students. We prepare a variety of dishes from scratch using local ingredients. We would love for English speakers to join us! There is no Japanese required and native English speaking teachers will be present. Come join us in learning how fun cooking can be! http://churakids.com/en/cooking-club/
- SWIMMING: Renaissance Sports Club across from Rycom Mall offers swimming classes for all ages of children. Chilren under 3 must be accompanied by a parent in the water. https://www.s-re.jp/rycom/school/
- More BeActive Classes and Activities offered on campus by OIST Recreation: https://groups.oist.jp/recreation/fitness-courses
Classes for Parents with Available Childcare
- JAZZERCIZE: On Route 6 next to the Big Aeon with childcare service (6 months plus) for classes from 9-10am, Monday through Friday, during the week. You need to pre-book beforehand.
Classes for Mommies and Babies Together in Okinawa
- "Mommy and Me"
- Ganjuu is currently running weekly Baby Sensory sessions that are open to parents and babies under the age of 1 year. These are held every week on Thursdays from 3-4pm in the Meeting Room in the Village Center. You don’t need to book the session and there is no cost, just turn up with your baby. This is a chance to try some sensory play activities with your baby whilst also meeting other parents with young children. The group normally involves a guided group activity or song to stimulate the baby’s senses in different ways followed by some free play with sensory toys while parents have a chance to talk to each other.
- A "Mommy and Me" class run by Lydia Logan at The Okinawa Christian International School is open to all Mums and Dads with their babies from 0-3 years old. It is weekly every Friday from 8.45-9.45am. Mums and Dads are asked to please email Lydia if they are interested (firstname.lastname@example.org). At the time of writing, the class is paused, but the parents still meet up at the public park just beneath the school.
- PATO Yoga aimed at parents but open to all in the OIST community. Every Friday from 12-1 in the Village Center Ocean View Meeting Room. ¥800 per class.
- Mother yoga class in Uruma City from 10:30-11:45 on Tuesdays
- Yoga class in Ryu Clinic from 11am-12pm on the 3rd and 4th Thursday of each month.
- Baby Massage
- 10am on Wednesdays in Okinawa City (from 3 months)
- For new parents, there are a number of classes held at Yui Clinic. They are mostly open for anyone to attend (you needn't have given birth at YuI, although some are cheaper if you did!).
- Balance Ball training for Mum's post partum and up until the babies are mobile. Lots of fun, babies lie on mats in the class and Mum's bounce around to music! Approx 1000 Yen per class. 1-2pm on the 2nd and 4th Friday of each month.
- OIST Child Development Center
- OIST School Age Programs (website coming soon)
- Certified Childcare Off Campus (see last section on this Resource Center page)
- Family Care Providors and Additional Childcare Options
- Additional information: Yomitan daycare centre on Route 58 just after Owan City and just before Kadena. Its open to Yomitan residents Mon-Fri 10am-3pm free of charge. They also have a babysitting service for residents from ¥600-800 per hour, you have to register into the system first.
- Onna-son services: http://www.vill.onna.okinawa.jp.e.abe.hp.transer.com/living/childcare/1484705733/1484705828/
- Local Babysitters:
- Coming soon
Grade School Information
The OIST Resource Center also regularly offers Lunch and Learn Sessions about schools in Okinawa for parents. Please check TIDA for in formation on when the next one will be held.
These are members of PATO who volunteer their time to answer questions that OIST families may have about the schools in Okinawa. Plesae feel free to email them with any questions you may have.
Susan Boerner (English)
Juanita Choo (English)
Rada Neiman (English)
Fumie Yasuda Rehnberg (English & Japanese)