Skip to main content
- "Observing Magnetic Monopoles in Spin Ice using Electron Holography"
A. Dahr, L.D.C. Jaubert, C. Cassidy, T. Shintake and N. Shannon
- "Melting of three-sublattice order in triangular lattice Ising antiferromagnets: Power-law order, Z6 parafermionic multicriticality, and weakly first order transitions"
G. Rakala, N. Desai, S. Shivam, K. Damle
- "Spontaneous layering and power-law order in the three-dimensional fully-packed hard-plate lattice gas"
G. Rakala, D. Mandal, S. Biswas, K. Damle, D. Dhar, R. Rajesh
- "Phases of the hard-plate lattice gas on a three-dimensional cubic lattice"
D. Mandal, G. Rakala, K. Damle, D. Dhar, R. Rajesh
- "Quantum spin solver near saturation: QS3"
Hiroshi Ueda, Seiji Yunoki and Tokuro Shimokawa
- "Quantum Approximate Optimization Algorithm with Adaptive Bias Fields"
Yunlong Yu, Chenfeng Cao, Carter Dewey, Xiang-Bin Wang, Nic Shannon, and Robert Joynt
- "Fragility of Z2 topological invariant characterizing triplet excitations in a bilayer kagome magnet"
Andreas Thomasen, Karlo Penc, Nic Shannon and Judit Romhányi
Phys. Rev. B 104, 104412 (2021)
- "Hidden phases born of a quantum spin liquid: Application to pyrochlore spin ice"
Hyeok-Jun Yang, Nic Shannon and SungBin Lee
Phys. Rev. B 104, L100403 (2021)
- "Fracton excitations in classical frustrated kagome spin models"
Max Hering, Han Yan and Johannes Reuther
Phys. Rev. B 104, 064406 (2021)
- "Theory of Ca10Cr7O28 as a bilayer breathing-kagome magnet: Classical thermodynamics and semi-classical dynamics"
Rico Pohle, Han Yan, and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 104, 024426 (2021)
- "Fractional Brownian motion of worms in worm algorithms for frustrated Ising magnets"
Geet Rakala, Kedar Damle and Deepak Dhar
Phys. Rev. E 103, 062101 (2021)
- "Signatures of the finite-temperature mirror symmetry breaking in the S=1/2 Shastry-Sutherland model"
Phys. Rev. B 103, 134419 (2021)
- "Generic Field-Driven Phenomena in Kitaev Spin Liquids: Canted Magnetism and Proximate Spin Liquid Physics"
Ciarán Hickey, Matthias Gohlke, Christoph Berke and Simon Trebst
Phys. Rev. B 103, 064417 (2021)
- "Speedup of the Quantum Adiabatic Algorithm using Delocalization Catalysis"
Chenfeng Cao, Jian Xue, Nic Shannon and Robert Joynt
Phys. Rev. Research 3, 013092 (2021)
- "Geodesic string condensation from symmetric tensor gauge theory: a unifying framework of holographic toy models"
Phys. Rev. B 102, 161119(R) (2020)
- "Emergence of a nematic paramagnet via quantum order-by-disorder and pseudo-Goldstone modes in Kitaev magnets"
Matthias Gohlke, Li Ern Chern, Hae-Young Kee and Yong Baek Kim
Phys. Rev. Research 2, 043023 (2020)
- "Rank-2 U(1) spin liquid on the breathing pyrochlore lattice"
Han Yan, Owen Benton, Ludovic D.C. Jaubert and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 127203 (2020)
Featured in Physics, and Quanta Magazines.
- "Hyperbolic Fracton Model, Subsystem Symmetry, and Holography II: The Dual Eight-Vertex Model"
Phys. Rev. B 100, 245138 (2019)
- "Multiple-q states of the J1-J2 classical honeycomb-lattice Heisenberg antiferromagnet under magnetic fields"
Tokuro Shimokawa, Tsuyoshi Okubo and Hikaru Kawamura
Phys. Rev. B 100, 224404 (2019)
- "Identification of emergent constraints and hidden order in frustrated magnets using tensorial kernel methods of machine learning"
Jonas Greitemann, Ke Liu, Ludovic D.C. Jaubert, Han Yan, Nic Shannon and Lode Pollet
Phys. Rev. B 100, 174408 (2019)
Featured on the OIST website, ChemEurope.com, TechXplore, Technology Networks and ScienceDaily.
- "Ripple state in the frustrated honeycomb-lattice antiferromagnet"
Tokuro Shimokawa, and Hikaru Kawamura
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 057202 (2019)
- "Polarization plateaus in hexagonal water ice Ih"
Matthias Gohlke, Roderich Moessner, and Frank Pollmann
Phys. Rev. B 100, 014206 (2019)
- "Negative thermal expansion in the plateau state of a magnetically-frustrated spinel"
L. Rossi, A. Bobel, S. Wiedmann, R. Küchler, Y. Motome, K. Penc, N. Shannon, H. Ueda, and B. Bryant
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 027205 (2019)
Featured on the OIST website
- "Putative spin-nematic phase in BaCdVO(PO4)2"
M. Skoulatos, F. Rucker, G.J. Nilsen, A. Bertin, E. Pomjakushina, J. Ollivier, A. Schneidewind, R. Georgii, O. Zaharko, L. Keller, Ch. Rüegg, C. Pfleiderer, B. Schmidt, N. Shannon, A. Kriele, A. Senyshyn, and A. Smerald
Phys. Rev. B 100, 014405 (2019)
- "Possible observation of quantum spin nematic phase in a frustrated magnet"
Y. Kohama, H. Ishikawa, A. Matsuo, K. Kindo, N. Shannon and Z. Hiroi
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 116, 10686 (2019)
- "Chaotic few-body vortex dynamics in rotating Bose-Einstein condensates"
Tiantian Zhang, James Schloss, Andreas Thomasen, Lee James O'Riordan, Thomas Busch, and Angela White
Phys. Rev. Fluids 4, 054701 (2019)
- "Hyperbolic fracton model, subsystem symmetry, and holography"
Phys. Rev. B 99 155126 (2019)
Selected for inclusion in Kaleidoscope, Featured on the OIST website
- "Topological states in the Kronig-Penney model with arbitrary scattering potentials"
Irina Reshodko, Albert Benseny, Judit Romhányi and Thomas Busch
New J. Phys. 21 013010 (2019)
- "Multipolar edge states in the breathing kagome model"
Phys. Rev. B 99 014408 (2019)
- "High-field Magnetism of the Honeycomb-lattice Antiferromagnet Cu2(pymca)3(ClO4)"
Akira Okutani, Takanori Kida, Yasuo Narumi, Tokuro Shimokawa, Zentaro Honda, Koichi Kindo, Takehito Nakano, Yasuo Nozue and Masayuki Hagiwara
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 88 013703 (2019)
- "Magnetic clustering, half-moons, and shadow pinch points as signals of a proximate Coulomb phase in frustrated Heisenberg magnets"
Tomonari Mizoguchi, Ludovic D. C. Jaubert, Roderich Moessner, and Masafumi Udagawa
Phys. Rev. B 98 144446 (2018)
- "Half moons are pinch points with dispersion"
Han Yan, Rico Pohle, and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 98 140402(R) (2018)
Selected for inclusion in Kaleidoscope. Featured on the OIST website, Space Daily, Phys.org, and Alpha Galileo,
- "Quantum spin ice with frustrated transverse exchange: from pi-flux phase to nematic quantum spin liquid"
Owen Benton, L. D. C. Jaubert, Rajiv Singh, Jaan Oitmaa, and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. Lett. 121 067201 (2018)
- "Identification of Antiferromagnetic Domains Via the Optical Magnetoelectric Effect"
Vilmos Kocsis, Karlo Penc, Toomas Rõõm, Urmas Nagel, Jakub Vít, Judit Romhányi, Yusuke Tokunaga, Yasujiro Taguchi, Yoshinori Tokura, István Kézsmárki, and Sándor Bordács
Phys. Rev. Lett. 121 057601 (2018)
- "Experimental signatures of emergent quantum electrodynamics in a quantum spin ice"
Romain Sibille, Nicolas Gauthier, Han Yan, Monica Ciomaga Hatnean, Jacques Ollivier, Barry Winn, Geetha Balakrishnan, Michel Kenzelmann, Nic Shannon, and Tom Fennell
Nature Physics 14 711-715 (2018)
Featured on the OIST website, Science Daily, Space Daily, Photonics Online, Optronics Online, AZO Quantum, Science & Technology Research News, and Photonics Media.
- "A glassy phase in quenched disordered graphene and crystalline membranes"
O. Coquand, K. Essafi, J.-P. Kownacki, and D. Mouhanna
Phys. Rev. E 97 030102 (2018)
- "Symmetry and optical selection rules in graphene quantum dots"
Rico Pohle, Eleftheria G. Kavousanaki, Keshav M. Dani, and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 97 115404 (2018)
- "Competing spin liquids and hidden spin-nematic order in spin ice with frustrated transverse exchange"
Mathieu Taillefumier, Owen Benton, Han Yan, Ludovic Jaubert and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. X 7 041057 (2017)
- "Direct observation of spin-quadrupolar excitations in Sr2CoGe2O7 by high field ESR"
Mitsuru Akaki, Daichi Yoshizawa, Akira Okutani, Takanori Kida, Judit Romhányi, Karlo Penc, and Masayuki Hagiwara
Phys. Rev. B 96 214406 (2017)
- "Generic nearest-neighbour kagome model: XYZ & Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya, and comparison to pyrochlore"
Karim Essafi, Owen Benton, and L. D. C. Jaubert
Phys. Rev. B 96 205126 (2017)
- "Clustering of Topological Charges in Kagome Classical Spin Liquid"
Mizoguchi Tomonari, L. D. C. Jaubert and Masafumi Udagawa
Phys. Rev. Lett. 119 077207 (2017)
- "Exact diagonalization and cluster mean-field study of triangular-lattice XXZ antiferromagnets near saturation"
Daisuke Yamamoto, Hiroshi Ueda, Ippei Danshita, Giacomo Marmorini, Tsutomu Momoi, and Tokuro Shimokawa
Phys. Rev. B 96 014431 (2017）
- "Flat bands and Dirac cones in breathing lattices"
Karim Essafi, L. D. C. Jaubert and Masafumi Udagawa
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 29 315802 (2017)
- "Spin-Orbit Dimers and Non-Collinear Phases in d1 Cubic Double Perovskites"
Judit Romhányi, Leon Balents, and George Jackeli
Phys. Rev. Lett. 118 217202 (2017)
- "Spin Ice Thin Film: Surface Ordering, Emergent Square Ice, and Strain Effects"
L.D.C. Jaubert , T. Lin, T.S. Opel, P.C.W. Holdsworth and M.J.P. Gingras
Phys. Rev. Lett. 118 207206 (2017)
- "Theory of multiple-phase competition in pyrochlore magnets with anisotropic exchange, with application to Yb2Ti2O7, Er2Ti2O7 and Er2Sn2O7"
Han Yan, Owen Benton, L.D.C. Jaubert and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 95 094422 (2017)
Highly Cited Paper
Identified by Web of Science as being in the top 1% of Physics publications on the basis of citations in the field and publication year; top 10 most-cited papers in Phys. Rev. B in 2017.
- "Classical spin liquids in stacked triangular lattice Ising antiferromagnets"
D.T. Liu, F.J. Burnell, L.D.C. Jaubert and J.T. Chalker
Phys. Rev. B 94, 224413 (2016)
- "The quantum origins of moment fragmentation in Nd2Zr2O7"
Phys. Rev. B 94, 104430 (2016)
Featured on the OIST website, Phys.org, Nanowerk, Technobahn, Science Daily, Alpha Galileo, Health Medicinet , Nanotech Now , Science Newsline , International News Line and EurekAlert! from the AAAS.
- "Out-of-equilibrium dynamics and extended textures of topological defects in spin ice"
M. Udagawa, L. D. C. Jaubert, C. Castelnovo and R. Moessner
Phys. Rev. B 94, 104416 (2016)
Selected for inclusion in Kaleidoscope
- "Reentrance of disorder in the anisotropic shuriken Ising model"
Rico Pohle, Owen Benton and L. D. C. Jaubert
Phys. Rev. B 94, 014429 (2016)
- "A spin-liquid with pinch-line singularities on the pyrochlore lattice"
Owen Benton, L. D. C. Jaubert, Han Yan and Nic Shannon
Nature Communications 7, 11572 (2016)
Featured on the OIST website, Phys.org, Nanowerk, Technobahn, Science Daily, Science Newsline, Alpha Galileo and EurekAlert! from the AAAS.
- "Theory of the NMR 1/T_1 relaxation rate in a quantum spin nematic in applied magnetic field"
Andrew Smerald and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 93, 184419 (2016)
- "Classical and quantum theories of proton disorder in hexagonal water ice"
Owen Benton, Olga Sikora and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 93, 125143 (2016)
Featured on the OIST website, Asian Scientist, Technobahn, Science Daily, Science Newsline, Science Codex, Phys.org, Space Daily, My Informs, R&D and EurekAlert! from the AAAS.
- "Novel phases in a square-lattice frustrated ferromagnet :1/3-magnetisation plateau, helicoidal spin-liquid and vortex crystal"
Luis Seabra, Philippe Sindzingre, Tsutomu Momoi and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B. 93, 085132 (2016)
- "Quantum solitons with emergent interactions in a model of cold atoms on the triangular lattice"
Hiroaki T. Ueda, Yutaka Akagi and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. A. 93, 021606(R) (2016)
Selected for inclusion in Kaleidoscope
- "A Kagome Map of Spin Liquids from XXZ to Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Ferromagnet"
Karim Essafi, Owen Benton and L.D.C. Jaubert
Nature Communications 7, 10297 (2016)
Featured on the OIST website, Asian Scientist, Nanowerk, Technobahn, Science Daily, Science Newsline, Alpha Galileo, Science Codex, Phys.org and EurekAlert! from the AAAS.
- "Are multiphase competition & order-by-disorder the keys to understanding Yb2Ti2O7 ?"
L.D.C. Jaubert, Owen Benton, Jeffrey G. Rau, J. Oitmaa, R.R.P. Singh, Nic Shannon and Michel J.P. Gingras
Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 267208 (2015)
- "Ground-state selection and spin-liquid behaviour in the classical Heisenberg model on the breathing pyrochlore lattice"
Owen Benton and Nic Shannon
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 84, 104710 (2015)
- "Chain-based order and quantum spin liquids in dipolar spin ice"
Paul McClarty, Olga Sikora, Roderich Moessner, Karlo Penc, Frank Pollmann and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 92, 094418 (2015)
- "Monopole holes in a Partially Ordered Spin Liquid"
Spin 5, 1540005 (2015)
Invited paper for the special issue on "Quantum Spin Ice and Liquid in Geometrically Frustrated Magnets"
- "Multiferroicity in spin ice: towards a magnetic crystallography of Tb2Ti2O7 in a field"
L.D.C. Jaubert and Roderich Moessner
Phys. Rev. B 91, 214422 (2015)
Featured on the OIST website, Phys.org, Alpha Galileo, Science Daily and Nanowerk
- "Theory of inelastic neutron scattering in a field-induced spin-nematic state"
Andrew Smerald, Hiroaki T. Ueda and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 91, 174402 (2015)
Selected for inclusion in Kaleidoscope
- "Spontaneous formation of kagome network and Dirac half-metal on a triangular lattice"
Yutaka Akagi and Yukitoshi Motome
Phys. Rev. B 91, 155132 (2015)
- "Surface and interface effects on a magnetic Chern insulator"
Ryo Ozawa, Masafumi Udagawa, Yutaka Akagi and Yukitoshi Motome
J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 592 012130 (2015)
- "Magnetic phase diagram slightly below the saturation field in the stacked J1-J2 model in the square lattice with the J3 interlayer coupling"
Hiroaki T. Ueda
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 84, 023601 (2015)
- "Semi-classical spin dynamics of the antiferromagnetic Heisenberg model on the kagome lattice"
M. Taillefumier, J Robert, C. L. Henley, R. Moessner, and B. Canals
Phys. Rev. B 90, 064419 (2014)
- "Cascade of field-induced magnetic transitions in a frustrated antiferromagnetic metal”
A. I. Coldea, L. Seabra, A. McCollam, A. Carrington, L. Malone, A. F. Bangura, D. Vignolles, P. G. van Rhee, R. D. McDonald, T. Sörgel, M. Jansen, N. Shannon, and R. Coldea
Phys. Rev. B 90, 020401(R) (2014)
- "Reconstruction of Chiral Edge States in a Magnetic Chern Insulator”
Ryo Ozawa, Masafumi Udagawa, Yutaka Akagi, and Yukitoshi Motome
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 83, 073706 (2014)
- “First order phase transitions in polymerized phantom membranes”
K. Essafi, J.-P. Kownacki, and D. Mouhanna
Physical Rev. E 89, 042101 (2014)
- "Magnetic-Moment Fragmentation and Monopole Crystallization"
M. Brooks-Bartlett, S.T. Banks, L.D.C. Jaubert, A. Harman-Clarke and P.C.W. Holdsworth
Phys.Rev. X 4, 011007 (2014)
- "Theory of spin excitations in a quantum spin-nematic state”
Andrew Smerald and Nic Shannon
Phys. Rev. B 88, 184430 (2013)
- "Two-Dimensional Ferromagnetism of a 3He Film: Influence of Weak Frustration"
A. Casey, M. Neumann, B. Cowan, J. Saunders, and N. Shannon
Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 125302 (2013)
Featured as a Research Highlight in Nature Physics
- "Reflection and refraction process of spinwave in a ferromagnet/frustrated ferromagnet junction system"
Y. Sasaki and H. T. Ueda
J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 82 (2013) 074604
- "Crystal Shape-Dependent Magnetic Susceptibility and Curie Law Crossover in the Spin Ices Dy2Ti2O7 and Ho2Ti2O7"
L. Bovo, L.D.C. Jaubert, P.C.W. Holdsworth and S.T. Bramwell
J. Phys.: Cond. Matter 25, 386002 (2013)
- "Theory of the Nuclear Magnetic 1/T1 Relaxation Rate in Conventional and Unconventional Magnets"
Book: University of Bristol PhD thesis, singled out for publication as a Springer Thesis
- "Nematic phase and phase separation near saturation field in frustrated ferromagnets"
H. T. Ueda and T. Momoi
Physical Review B, 87, 144417 (2013)
- "Magnetic monopoles: Entropy lost"
Nature Physics 9, 326–327 (2013)
News and Views article on Nature Physics 9, 353–356 (2013)
- "Proposal for an active electromagnetic metamaterial based on spin-torque oscillators"
G. Tatara, H. T. Ueda, K. Taguchi, Y. Sasaki, M. Nishijima and A. Takeuchi
Physical Review B 87, 155102 (2013)
- "Topological Sector Fluctuations and Curie Law Crossover in Spin Ice"
L.D.C. Jaubert, Mark Harris, Tom Fennell, Roger Melko, Steve Bramwell and Peter Holdsworth
Phys.Rev. X 3, 011014 (2013)
- "Seeing the light : experimental signatures of emergent electromagnetism in a quantum spin ice"
Owen Benton, Olga Sikora and Nic Shannon
Physical Review B 86, 075154 (2012)
Featured in Physics