1) Parental leave
- The University conforms to the Act on the Welfare of Workers Who Take Care of Children or Other Family Members Including Childcare and Family Care Leaves (Childcare and Family Care Leave Act, Act No. 76 of 1991) and all relevant laws and regulations, allowing employees a healthier balance between family and work life.
- For “Mom and Dad Child Care Leave Plus” (Japanese Law): Please click here.
- For employees: Maternity leave/Child care leave (HR section site)
- For students: PRP(5.3.18.) Childbirth Accommodation Policy
- Types of Leave
2) Parents` handbook
3) Mother's room
The Mothers’ Room (Lab3 C729) is provided for OIST female faculty, staff, students, and family members who are pregnant or who have infants, and are in need of a place to rest, breast-feed or express milk. There is also a public space available in the Conference Center building. Use is limited to the above purposes and conditions.
4) Changing tables
Changing tables are installed in all OIST buildings.
Village Area: Accessible bathroom in the Auditorium, Mothers' room in the Conference Center
Center Building: Female bathroom in Level A, the accessible bathroom in Level C
Lab 1: Female bathroom in Level A, the accessible bathroom in Level B, C, D
Lab 2: The Accessible bathroom in Level A, B, C
Lab 3: The Accessible bathroom in Level A, B, C
5) Preschool - Child Development Center (CDC)
The CDC provides quality nursery care and early childhood education in English and Japanese for children from the ages of 2 months - 6 years. Visit the Child Development Center website for more information about what is available and how to make use of these services.
6) School options
Within this document you will find relevant information on some of the current schooling options available for your children.
7) School Age Program (SAP)
OIST offers afterschool care for OIST employees' and students' children ages 6-14. For more information, visit the SAP program pages.
8) Child care service near OIST
The list of private childcare centers near OIST are available from the Resouce Center. More details are on their homepage.