OIST Science Challenge
OIST Science Challenge workshop will be providing participants with a unique opportunity to extend their scientific education and experience research. We also offer valuable information and tips to help them prepare for a doctoral program. Through a series of activities with faculty, postdocs, as well as with PhD students, the participants will learn about research conducted at OIST, and skills needed to survive and enjoy a PhD life. At the end of the workshop, participants will be asked to present a submitted slide presentation on the theme "Diversity in Science" in light of their experience throughout the week. The presentation will be shared with the OIST community.
Airfare, accommodation, and meals during the workshop will be provided by OIST.
"Diversity in Science"
This year's theme is "Diversity in Science"
Great discoveries lie at the intersections of different disciplines, when varieties of ideas connect each other. Elaborate on why and how diversityis essential for the advancement of science. We would like to hear how you and your career will excel in this diverse scientific world. This workshop will be a chance to reflect on why you are drawn to science, and how you plan to capitalize on that motivation to make your future endeavors a success.
Date & Venue
Date: March 14 (Mon) - 18th (Fri), 2022
Venue: Online via zoom
Application Deadline: December 31st, 2021
- Bachelor or master students in STEM majors, currently living in Japan.
- Able to take part in the OIST Science Challenge 2022 in full
- Slide Presentation -on the theme "Diversity in Science" (no more than 6 slides)
- Statement (200 words in English) - describe reasons why you wish to apply for the workshop, and upload it on the last page of the slide presentation (see sample).
- Save (as PDF preferred) and submit your presentation under 30MB.
Application materials will be carefully reviewed based on the following criteria.
- Passion and curiosity for Science
From submitted applications, about 20 candidates will be selected and invited to the workshop. During the final slide presentation of those candidates, the following criteria will also be considered:
- Engagement with the audience
- Respect of time constraints
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (OIST External Engagement Section)
*Please beware that the office will be closed from December 28th until January 3rd, due to Japanese national holidays. We will only respond to inquiries after coming back to the office.