OIST Science Challenge
OIST Science Challenge 2019 will be providing participants with a unique opportunity to extend their scientific education and experience research. We also offer valuable information to help them prepare for a doctoral program. Through various interactions with OIST faculty, postdocs, and PhD students, the participants will learn about research conducted at OIST, skills needed to survive and enjoy a PhD life. At the end of the workshop, participants will be asked to present submitted slide presentation on the "Think Big, Start Small" in light of their experience throughout the week. The presentation will be shared with OIST community.
Airfare, travel insurance, accommodation, and meals during the workshop will be provided by OIST.
"Think Big, Start Small"
This year's theme is "Think Big, Start Small". Any big dream realized requires tremendous work, commitment, and dedication. We hope to hear what you hope to see and accomplish in your future career as a scientist, and what are the steps you have taken (or are taking) now to turn your ideas into reality! This workshop will be a chance to reflect on why you are drawn to science and how you plan to capitalize on that to make your future endeavor a success.
Time & Place
Time: March 9th (Sat) - 16th (Sat), 2018
Place: Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST)
- Undergraduate, College of Technology, Master’s students in science, engineering, or related STEM major
- Able to take part in the OIST Science Challenge 2019 in full
- Slide presentation on the theme "Think Big, Start Small" (no more than 6 slides)
- Write a statement of the reasons why you wish to apply for the workshop, under 200 words in English, on the last page of the slide presentation (see sample).
- Your presentation can contain up to 7 slides in total, including the 200 words statement, and saved under 30MB.
Thursday January 31st, 2019
Application materials will be carefully reviewed in following criteria.
- Passion and curiosity for Science
From submitted applications, 20 to 30 candidates will be selected and invited to the workshop. During the final slide presentation of those candidates, the following criteria will also be considered:
- Engagement with the audience
- Respect of time constraints
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (OIST Admissions and Career Development Section)