Sustainability/Plant Based Diet Tips
"Every breath of air we take, every mouthful of food that we take, comes from the natural world. And if we damage the natural world, we damage ourselves."
What is Sustainability and how does it relate to food?
Sustainability can often be a broad topic to discuss, it can mean many different things to different people. Sustainability roughly translates to the environment, economics, health, nutrition, and other related dimensions.
When we talk about sustainability and food, we are talking about diets that have low environmental impacts that contribute to food, nutrition security and how we can have a healthy planet with enough food for our future generations.
What can we do to live a more sustainable life:
How can we have a more sustainable diet?
5 things you can try to do to have a more plant-based diet or reduce you animal product consumption:
1. Start by reducing dairy intake first - drink non-dairy milks such as, (soy, almond, oat, or coconut). Switch to soy cheeses and soy/almond yoghurts.
2. Start adding more legumes/beans to meals instead of meat or use meat alternatives (soy mince).
3. Breakfast is the easiest meal to cut out animal products, start with this meal. Try oatmeal, toast with avocado or beans on toast.
4. Try 1 new meat free meal a week.
5. Venture out and try a local plant-based restaurant or cafes with your friends once a month.
Eco Documentary Recommendations:
Netflix: David Attenborough, a life on our planet 2020
Sustainability at OIST:
Resource Center Green Okinawa:
Check out OIST Eco club Instagram & give them Follow: