Welcome to OIST Science Challenge!
The workshop aims to provide participants with a unique opportunity to extend their scientific education and experience student life at OIST. We also offer tips and guidance to help you prepare for a doctoral program, if you're considering about graduate studies. Through a series of activities and interactions with the OIST community members, you will learn skills needed to survive and enjoy life of research as a graduate student. At the end of the workshop, you will be asked to give a presentation on "Think Big, Start Small" in light of what you've learned throughout the week.
We are looking forward to meeting you in Okinawa!
What to bring?
- Liability and health insurance - for students in Japan
- Travel insurance - for international students, included in your E-ticket
- Laptop/portable device (please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you cannot bring one)
- Proper shoes for lab activities - ex: sneakers
- Japanese yen in cash - see details below
- Power plug converter (for international participants) - AC outlet in Japn is Type A, 100 volts/60Hz
Japanese Yen: Access to currency exchange and ATM services is very limited during the workshop. We highly encourage you to find a currency exchange counter at an airport. You will need cash in case of medical emergency, public transportation, or personal shopping.
Please click the icon below to see the meeting point, time and emergency contact on the day of your arrival to Naha Airport on March 9, 2019.
A light dinner box will be served when you arrive at accommodation on the arrival day.
We will soon upload the workshop schedule. There may be some changes and modifications along the way, but this would help you plan and organize your stay in Okinawa.
Accommodation and Campus
You will stay at OIST Seaside House located 3km from OIST the main campus. Please click HERE
to see the details of the facility. All campus facilities, including your accommodation, will have the Internet connection
Available amenities at your accommodation include:
- Public WIFI - LAN cable in each room
- Laundry and detergent
- Body soap
- Tooth Brush
- Hair Dryer
- Shared refrigerator
- Shared microwave
- Vending machine - drinks and snacks
• Main campus: Jimmy's convenience store open from Monday to Saturday, from 10:00am - 7:30pm
• Off campus: the nearest convenience store is about 3 km from OIST
Cafeteria Grano is open on campus, from 8:00am to 6:30pm - For more information, click HERE
Workshop Transportation (to be confirmed)
OIST will provide you a bus transportation between Seaside House and OIST Main Campus from March 11th to 15th.
Departure time from Seaside House to OIST Main Campus - 8:15am
Departure time from OIST Main Campus to Seaside House - 8:00pm (6:15pm on Friday March 15th)
Click on the icons below to find a wide range of information from hotel information in Okinawa, as well as restaurants and optional activities that are available near OIST campus. More importantly, please take a minute to learn about dangerous species that live on the island!
If you missed your flight or connection please:
- Report to email@example.com immediately
- Contact airline staff at the airport counter, and check for alternative flight
- Send us the rescheduled flight information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: We cannot issue a new ticket if you missed your flight due to your personal reason.
Emergency Contact During the Workshop
In case of emergency, please call +81(0)80-6566-9991
You can also call +81(0)98-966-1512 during the office hour - weekdays, 9am - 5pm