Contact & FAQ
- Email: dnc.secretariat [at] oist.jp
- Mail: 1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0412 JAPAN
- OIST Campus, Onna-son, Okinawa
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can apply?
PhD students and junior post-docs at universities or academic/ industrial institutes.
2. Are there any application or registration fees?
ALL selected participants are waived of registration fee.
3. Do I need to attend the entire program or can I arrive late/leave early for another obligation?
Attending the entire program is mandatory for ALL selected participants. A pre-approval from the course organizers is required for partial attendance. Please contact the course secretariat for further details.
4. Do I need to bring my own laptop?
Bringing your own laptop is not a requirement but recommended. OIST will not provide laptops for the course participants.
- Bureau de Change: No Currency Exchange Service available at OIST. Money exchange in your country or at major airports (Tokyo-Narita or -Haneda/Kansai/Nagoya) is strongly recommended.
- ATMs: ATMs for credit card cash withdrawal are available in Naha Airport, nearby post offices and convenience stores. You will need a PIN code to use this service and some fees may apply. Please be advised some issuers do not offer this service in abroad. Contact your card issuers for more information.
July and August in Okinawa is very hot and humid. Average temperature around this time of the year is 29-33 Celsius (or 84 - 92 Fahrenheit). Bring sunscreen or sunblock to protect your skin from sunburn.
OIST Workshops are usually performed in informal style (no suit and tie), thus please feel free to dress casually and travel light.
The AC outlet in Japan is 100 volt, and fits plugs with two parallel blades (Type A). Please check if the AC adapter of your laptop is compatible with Japanese style and bring a plug adapter or a voltage converter if necessary.
Facilities of OIST Campus
- Internet: Wired and wireless Internet available throughout the campus.
- Amenities: Shampoo & conditioner, body soap, toothbrush set, hair dryer and room slippers.
- Laundry rooms: Equipped with coin operated washer-dryers, detergent and ironing board sets.
- Phones: No public pay phone on OIST campus.
- Shop: A convenience store, Jimmy's, is located on the campus Village Zone.