The Theoretical Sciences Visiting Program has dedicated, on-campus accommodation for visitors in "The Gardens", pictured above.
More about the rooms, Check-In/Check-Out procedures and other important information can be found below.
All TSVP visitors will be provided with fully furnished housing. The program has shared rooms (S2B), 2-bedroom (2LDK), and 3-bedroom apartments (3LDK). The shared rooms are intended for 2 visitors with independent (locked) bedrooms and bathrooms, but a shared kitchen / dining area. Since most of our rooms are shared, you might share the kitchen/dining area with one other visiting researcher.
S2B (shared 2bedrooms)
Please receive the room key as instructed directly from us or via key box (evening arrival).
In the case of the Key box. Please refer to "How to get your room Key (PDF)".
*Please take off your shoes at the room entrance.*
After you have checked in,
- Watch the "Garbage rules" on YouTube.
- Please complete and (digitally) sign the Furniture check sheet and Accommodation agreement, Key borrowing agreement, and Long-term Accommodation Rules document. They are also included in your Welcome Package (files 7, 8, 9 - see below).
Within 3 days, please email the signed documents to email@example.com (or deliver to the FAO in person).
There are often questions regarding hot water: please switch it on from the panel in the kitchen. We recommend setting it to around 40-42°C.
Okinawa generally has very high humidity, especially during rainy season in May/June (89%) and typhoon season in August/September (82%). Please use the air conditioner in "dry/dehumidification" mode constantly to avoid the development of mold. On days with lower humidity and no rain, please ventilate the rooms. Mold grows best in dark areas, so allowing natural light into the apartment can also help to prevent mold from growing.
If you see mold developing clean it away immediately with an alcohol-dampened cloth. Recently, we often saw black mold on the back of the bookshelves, the bottom of the desk, and inside the desk drawers, as well as some hard-to-see white mold on the ceilings. Mold can even develop in newly constructed buildings, like "The Gardens", and despite the air conditioner being on 24:7.
- Close the ventilation inlets on the walls (Even if it says “always open,” please close it.)
- Use the air conditioners constantly. (Do not set the air conditioner temperature too low to avoid condensation. Recommended Setting in Spring/Summer: Cool Mode 26C, Automatic Wind Strength, "Swing". Recommended in colder months: Dehumidification Mode at 26C)
- If you find moisture/mold, please clean it immediately. If it is severe please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- [3 working days before] Pre-check
Please clean your room and send pictures of your room as in this sample to email@example.com with CC to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not have to pack all of your belongings, but please prepare to leave at this stage.
- [Move-out day]
Clear out the room and wash and dry the kitchen towels, bathroom towels, and bath mat (These are provided as a courtesy from the FAO, so we ask for your cooperation).
Please make sure nothing is left behind.
- Turn on the air conditioner in all rooms (see recommended settings above).
Please keep it on. You do not have to turn it off.
- Lock the front door and return the key to the red post box in the Gardens Office.
If you have the desk cabinet key, please make sure to return it as well.
Additionally, if you have a parking permit, please return to the Gardens Office (not in the post).
Where to return the key
After you have moved out, we will visit and check the room condition.
What is provided in the room?
- Furniture list
- Basic kitchen utensils such as cutlery, plates, pots, pans, knife, etc.
- Wi-Fi Internet
- As a courtesy, the FAO provides a few amenities for the initial few days of your stay. A little toilet paper, towels, shampoo, soap, and garbage bags are in the room.
- No shoes
- No smoking
- No fire
- No pets
- No bicycle in the room
- Do not damage the room.
- Do not move furniture.
- Keep the room clean.
There are mailboxes located at the Gardens. You can have mail and packages delivered there. For that purpose use the below listed address including your name and room number.
Before getting mail delivered please fill out the Resident Confirmation Form from the Post Office, which you will get it in your mailbox. Please read the above-linked PDF or ask the Gardens Office for help.
There is also a common BBQ area at the Gardens. Recently a faucet and hose were installed to wash the BBQ and other outside gear like bicycles. To use the BBQ area please see the explanation from the Gardens office here.
- OIST Shuttle bus
For the details, please visit HERE (OIST members only).
OIST, The Gardens (+Room number)
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Kunigami-gun, Okinawa, Japan 904-0497
OIST ザ・ガーデンズ (+部屋番号)
If you'd like to use a parking space, please submit a Parking Application.
FYI: On-campus Parking Maps (OIST members only)
- Call Center
OIST helpline 098-966-8989 (Emergency case only)
Shortly before your arrival we will send you our "welcome package" via email. It contains campus maps, shuttle bus schedules, and other useful information. You can also download the files below.