Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can apply to the workshop?
PhD students, post-docs, researchers at universities or academic/ industrial institutes, professors (and other lab heads).
2. Is there any registration fee to participate in the workshop?
OIST will cover your round trip air-ticket (from/ to the airport nearest to your institute) and meals in Okinawa during the workshop. All the participants are expected to arrive in Okinawa November 10-11 and depart November 15-16. Unfortunately, because of travel regulations we cannot accomodate requests to stay longer, even at your own expense.
3. When could I expect to know about my participation in Signalling 2013?
- Application Deadline: 30 June 2013
- Notification of participation from Secretariat Office: early July 2013
- Contact by OIST travel agent for flight arrangement: after notification of acceptance
4. Does everyone need to submit a poster abstract?
We will have two poster sessions during the workshop. Every participant is expected to submit an abstract and present a poster. 12 abstracts will be selected for 20-minute talks, though you can chose not to be considered for a talk. The goal of the poster is to tell other course participants about your work and to get feedback.
5. Can you tell me the main points of the smallprint in the OIST Travel Rules for workshop participants?
- OIST will cover an economy class round trip between Okinawa and the airport of your starting and returning destination, which arrives in Okinawa at the earliest the day before the conference starts (7th) and departs at the latest the day after it finishes (12th). We do not cover any expenses for any layover (e.g. at Tokyo, Osaka, or other Japanese or foreign cities) . If you want to want to include a layover into your trip, we will cover only half the costs of your ticket.
- You are responsible for fees resulting from any change or cancellation of your flight and accommodation made after our travel agent or OIST have confirmed your booking.
- You are responsible for any local transport costs in your home country, e.g. taxis to your departure airport, bus/train to your departure airport.
- We will arrange transportation between Naha (Okinawa) airport and the workshop venue. If for personal reasons you do not arrive in and/or depart from Okinawa as scheduled, then you will be responsible for arranging and paying for your transportation.
- OIST doesn’t issue international travel medical insurance. If you wish to purchase it, you must do so at your own expense.
- Please keep boarding pass stubs from ALL flights, and submit the inbound stubs and a copy of your itinerary when you register at Seaside House.
6. What do I need to bring?
Aside from clothes and toiletries, you should bring sunscreen and swimming gear, including sturdy-soled shoes to ward off numerous spiny and stinging sea creatures that live in the sea around Okinawa.
7. What are the housing arrangements like?
Every selected applicant will have a shared room with one roommate and with an en suite bathroom.