Master of Advanced Studies in Sciences (Free University of Brussels, ULB, 2006)
Master in Biological Sciences (Free University of Brussels, ULB, 2005)
I am an ecologist and evolutionary biologist with special interests in insects. I was born in Belgium and obtained my Ph.D. in 2010 from the Free University of Brussels (ULB), Belgium. I then did three successive postdocs at the Hokkaido University, the National University of Singapore, and the University of Sydney. I joined OIST in 2017 and established the Evolutionary Genomics Unit. My work makes extensive use of next-generation sequencing technologies to investigate the ecology and evolution of termites, cockroaches, and their microbes.
- Hokkaido University, Japan, 2010-2012
- National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2012-1015
- The University of Sydney, Australia, 2015-2017
- Kinjo Y.*, Lo N.* (*equal first authors), Villa-Martin P., Tokuda G., Pigolotti S. & Bourguignon T. (2021) Enhanced mutation rate, relaxed selection, and the ‘domino effect’ drive gene loss in Blattabacterium, a cockroach endosymbiont. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 38, 3820-3831.
- Bourguignon T.*, Kinjo Y.* (*equal first authors), Villa-Martin P., Coleman N.V., Tang Q., Arab D.A., Wang Z., Tokuda G., Hongoh Y., Ohkuma M., Ho S.Y.W., Pigolotti S. & Lo N. (2020) Increased mutation rate is linked to genome reduction in prokaryotes. Current Biology, 30, 3848-3855.
- Bucek A., Šobotník J., He S., Shi M., McMahon E.C., Holmes E.C., Roisin Y., Lo N. & Bourguignon T. (2019) Evolution of termite symbiosis informed by transcriptome-based phylogenies. Current Biology, 29, 3728-3734.
- Bourguignon T.*, Lo N.* (*equal first authors), Dietrich C., Šobotník J., Sidek S., Roisin Y., Brune A. & Evans T.A. (2018) Rampant host-switching shaped the termite gut microbiome. Current Biology, 28, 649-654. This article has been recommended in F1000Prime as being of special significance in its field.
- Bourguignon T.*, Qian T.* (*equal first authors), Ho S.Y.W., Juna F., Wang Z., Arab D.A., Cameron S.L., Walker J., Rentz D., Evans T.A., Lo N. (2018) Transoceanic and plate tectonics shaped global cockroach distributions: evidence from mitochondrial phylogenomics. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 35, 970-983.
- Bourguignon T., Lo N., Šobotník J., Ho S.Y.W., Iqbal N., Coissac E., Lee M., Jendryka M., Sillam-Dussès D., Křížková B., Roisin Y. & Evans T.A. (2017) Mitochondrial phylogenomics resolves the global spread of higher termites, ecosystem engineers of the tropics. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 34, 589-597.
- Šobotník J.*, Bourguignon T.* (*equal first authors), Hanus R., Demianová Z., Pytelková J., Mareš M., Foltýnová P., Preisler J., Cvačka J., Krasulová J. & Roisin Y. (2012) Explosive backpack in old termite workers. Science, 337, 436. Listed in the Top 10 ScienceNOWs of 2012, Science, 338, 1518.