CoE and Visa

What is Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (CoE)?

For those who intend to stay in Japan for more than 90 days, you need a document called "Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (CoE)," to obtain your visa at the Japanese embassy/ consulate in your area. Since CoE has the expiration date, OIST can only apply for your CoE three months before your arrival date.

1. Fill out the CoE application form.
2. Send your CoE application form to OIST.
3. OIST applies for your CoE at the immigration office in Okinawa.
4. OIST receives your CoE.
5. OIST sends a PDF copy of your CoE via GigaCC.

It usually takes about one month to obtain your CoE, so we strongly recommend that you fill out the CoE application and send it back to us as soon as possible.

While waiting for your CoE to be delivered, please prepare your visa application form and the necessary required documents.
Necessary documents may differ depending on your nationality and the country you are applying in.
Please check the links below for further information about the CoE and visa information/ requirements by the Japanese embassy/ consulate in your area.
Please apply for the visa immediately after you receive your CoE.

For Your Referencce
Visa for International Students(OIST page)
Immigration Bureau of Japan
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
1. Cultural Activities (visa for Research Interns, Visiting Research Students)
2. Student (visa for PhD students and Special Research Students)

What is a visa?

A visa is a document you need when you enter Japan. To obtain your visa, you will need to go to the Japanese embassy/ consulate in your area. For those who received a CoE, you need both a visa and your CoE to enter Japan.


How to read your visa page

①Date of expiry
This is the date when you must enter Japan by, otherwise you need to complete the CoE and visa process again. Once you have entered Japan by this date, you no longer need to worry.

②No. of entries
Once you arrive in Japan, your residence card is issued. As long as you have a valid residence card, you can re-enter Japan without having another visa issued.

③For stay(s) of
You can stay for the length of the period stated in this section. If you plan to stay in Japan for 5 years, you will need to renew your residential status (residence card, but not your visa) while you are at OIST. OIST will help you to renew your residential status (residence card).