Thank you everyone. CQD2023 was a great success! Have a safe trip back home.
Okinawa School in Physics 2023: Coherent Quantum Dynamics
CQD 2023 26 September - 5 October Okinawa, Japan
The study of quantum coherent dynamics is currently one of the most active and exciting areas in physics. It holds the promise for the development of new technologies (quantum computing, quantum metrology,...) and, at the same time, has already delivered insights into the foundations of quantum mechanics. Its fast moving pace and new approach has attracted many young researchers and summer schools - at which leading experts share their knowledge and directly interact with the participants - have become an integral part of the community.
The school will consist of lectures delivered by Japanese and international experts on the fundamentals of the area. These will be supplemented by accessible presentations (colloquia) on cutting-edge research problems. The topics are chosen to be deliberately broad and will give the students a wide perspective on different aspects.
All participants are expected to present a poster based on their current research.
Location: OIST Seaside House
Accommodation: OIST Seaside House, Onna, Okinawa (twin-share only)
Registration Fee: 50,000 JPY (approx. 350 EUR or 380 USD, includes accommodation and food).
OIST is deeply committed to the advancement of women in science, in Japan and worldwide. In order to assist sole child carers in participating at this workshop we can provide additional support (such as funds towards flights for the child(ren)) where necessary. Information is available on request.
Lecturers (3 x 90 minutes)
Mikhail (Misha) Baranov, IQOQI Innsbruck, Austria
Creation and application of optical nanostructures for atoms and molecules
David Elkouss, OIST, Japan
Towards long distance quantum communications: an introduction to quantum repeater protocols and architectures.
John Goold, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Thermodynamics: from its emergence to use in quantum systems
Dieter Meschede, University of Bonn, Germany
From observation to control - single atomic particles
- Lecture 1 From observation to control -- single atomic particles
- Lecture 2 Atoms for Quantum Information Applications
- Lecture 3 Rudolph Clausius - an almost forgotten pioneer of physics with enormous impact.
Giulia Semeghini, Harvard University, USA
Rydberg atom arrays and applications in quantum simulation and quantum computing
Birgit Stiller, Max Planck Institute for the Science of Light, Germany
Coherent optoacoustics in photonic structures – fundamentals and applications
Shigeki Takeuchi, Kyoto University, Japan
Photonic quantum science and technology
Arghavan Safavi, University of Amsterdam, Netherland
Using engineered interactions for quantum enhanced sensing and novel quantum computing approaches
Colloquium Speakers (90 minutes)
Serge Haroche, Collège de France and Laboratoire Kastler Brossel, Paris
Quantum Science with Rydberg Atoms
Hideo Kosaka, Yokohama National University
Towards Quantum Computing and Quantum Cryptography with diamonds
Takashi Yamamoto, Osaka University
Photonic quantum information processing in frequency domain
Dylan Brown, OIST
Excitation of Rydberg atoms next to an optical nanofiber for waveguide QED experiments
Eloisa Cuestas, OIST
A quantum engine in the BEC-BCS crossover regime
Important Dates - to be confirmed
- Application Open: 14 March 2023
- Application Deadline: 15 June 2023 (any time zone)
- Deadline for Reference Letters: 20 June 2023
- Notification of Application Results: early July 2023 *We apologize for the delay in notifying the results of the participant selection. We expect to be able to inform you this weekend, July 21, or July 26 at the latest. Please kindly wait for a while.
- Participants arrive on Okinawa: 25 September 2023 *Check-in after 3PM
- Participants depart Okinawa: 06 October 2023 *Check-out by 10AM
*Transportation between Naha Airport and OIST Seaside House will be announced closer to the date.
- Thomas Busch, OIST Graduate University: Organising and Programme Committee
- Síle Nic Chormaic, OIST Graduate University: Organising and Programme Committee
- Kae Nemoto, OIST Graduate University: Organising and Programme Committee
Poster sessions sponsors