Contact & FAQ
- Email: acbd.workshop[at]oist.jp
- Mail: 1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Regarding the Workshop
Where will the workshop take place?
- Conference Room B250, Center Building, OIST, Onna-son, Okinawa (oral presentations)
- Conference Room C210, Center Building, OIST, Onna-son, Okinawa (poster sessions)
Useful maps of OIST region and campus can be found here and here, whereas you can take a virtual tour of the campus here.
Who can apply for participation?
Students and researchers of all levels at universities or academic/industrial institutes.
Are there any application or registration fees for participants?
No. Application and registration to the workshop are completely free of charge.
How can I apply for participation?
By filling out the application form on our dedicated webform.
Please, send us an abstract for your poster presentation by 31 July 2019. Please note, however, that some abstracts will be granted an oral presentation instead, should the author agree. If your abstract is selected for oral presentation, OIST will arrange and cover transportation to Okinawa and back.
What poster size should I use for my poster presentation?
All participants of the poster sessions should bring posters of standard A0 size at portrait orientation. Please, note that the workshop cannot provide printing services.
Is there a dress code for the workshop?
OIST workshops are usually performed in informal style (no suit and tie); thus, please feel free to dress casually and travel light.
If I arrange transportation myself, what is the most convenient way?
The closest airport to OIST is Naha Airport (OKA). Participants without oral presentations will need to make their own travel arrangements. However, transportation from and to Naha Airport will be provided by the workshop team; therefore, please, contact the secretariat and let us know regarding your travel arrangements asap.
Where will I stay during the workshop?
Free accommodation at OIST's Seaside House will be arranged by the workshop. If necessary, participants may have to share twin rooms. Seaside House is a mere 15 minute walk from the workshop venue; however, OIST will provide transportation to and from the Seaside House during the workshop.
What are the facilities of Seaside House?
- Internet: Wireless Internet available in public space. Wired LAN is available in guest rooms.
- Amenities: Shampoo & rinse, body soap, toothbrush set, hair dryer and room slippers.
- Laundry rooms: equipped with washer-dryers, detergent, and ironing board sets.
- Phones: public phone available in the lobby area. Calling card is required to make a domestic/international phone call. You may wish to purchase international calling cards at major airport as they are not provided at Seaside House. Some credit cards work by entering your credit card numbers and PIN code. Phone equipped in each guest room is for in-house calls only.
Can I bring accompanying persons with me?
Yes. Please note, however, that you will have to make individual accommodation arrangements in this case, as OIST cannot provide accommodation for non-particicpants.
How about food?
Food and coffee will be provided throughout the duration of the workshop free of charge. Please, let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.
Transportation within Okinawa
Please note the pick up schedule from Naha airport on October 20th, below:
The taxi driver waiting to pick you up will be holding the sign below:
Also, please find transportation information during the workshop below:
If in doubt, or if there is any problem regarding these times, please do not hesitate to contact the secretariat.
What will the weather be like?
Average temperature around this time of the year is 23-27º Celsius. Typically, October is one of the most pleasant months in Okinawa, as it is warm but not too humid.
Information on the weather can be found here.
Do I need an adapter for my electronic devices in Japan?
The AC outlet in Japan is 100 volt, and fits plugs with two parallel blades (Type A). Please check if the AC adapter of your laptop is compatible with Japanese style and bring a plug adapter or a voltage converter if necessary.
Where can I exchange money during the workshop?
- Unfortunately, there is no currency exchange service at OIST, but Naha airport has a currency exchange machine and the following currencies can be exchanged at the machine: US Dollar (USD), Euro (EUR), Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY), South Korean Won (KRW), New Taiwan Dollar (TWD), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), British Pound (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Singapore Dollar (SGD), Baht (THB). The opening hours are weekdays and weekends: 7:00-23:00. It is strongly recommended that you exchange currency in your own country or at major airports (Narita/Haneda/Kansai/Nagoya).
- There is also the possibility to exchange currency at the nearest convenience store. The following currencies can be exchanged at the machine: US Dollar (USD), Euro (EUR), Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY), South Korean Won (KRW), New Taiwan Dollar (TWD), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), British Pound (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD). The opening hours are weekdays and weekends: 9:00-21:00.
- ATMs: ATMs for credit card cashing are available in Naha Airport or nearby post offices/some convenience stores. Please be advised that some credit cards might not be accepted due to credit card policy (mostly credit cards issued abroad).
Is there something I cannot bring with me to Japan?
Please, be aware of Japanese laws and regulations regarding the import of animals or animal products into Japan (more information here). Also, the law about medicines and drugs in Japan may be different than your homecountry, so, please, check whether (and how) it is permitted to bring medicines with you. You can read more information here, or ask us if you have specific enquiries.