MS Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Japan, 2010
BS Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Japan, 2008
Akimitsu Narita was born in Yokohama, Japan in 1986. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Chemistry at the University of Tokyo under the supervision of Professor Eiichi Nakamura. Then he joined the group of Professor Klaus Müllen at the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research (MPIP) in Mainz, Germany, and obtained his doctorate in Chemistry from Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz in 2014. In the same year, he became a project leader in the Synthetic Chemistry Department at MPIP, leading the Graphene Research Group. In October 2018 Akimitsu Narita joined OIST as an Assistant Professor (Adjunct) leading the Organic and Carbon Nanomaterials Unit.
- Assistant Professor (Adjunct), Organic and Carbon Nanomaterials Unit, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Japan, 2018-present
- Project Leader, as a Group Leader of Graphene Research Group, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany, 2014-present
- Doctoral Researcher, Synthetic Chemistry Department, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany, 2010-2014
- Runner-Up, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Prizes 2014 (Selected as one of the 10 finalists in the prize category “Promising Research Talent” and achieved the 2nd position.), 2014
- CSJ Presentation Award, the 96th Annual Meeting of the Chemical Society of Japan (CSJ), 2016
- The Chemical Society of Japan Award for Young Chemists for 2017
- A. Narita, X. Feng, Y. Hernandez, S. A. Jensen, M. Bonn, H. Yang, I. A. Verzhbitskiy, C. Casiraghi, M. R. Hansen, A. H. R. Koch, G. Fytas, O. Ivasenko, B. Li, K. S. Mali, T. Balandina, S. Mahesh, S. De Feyter, K. Müllen, Synthesis of structurally well-defined and liquid-phase-processable graphene nanoribbons. Nature Chem., 2014, 6, 126–132. (Highlighted in News and Views, Nature Chem., 2014, 6, 91–92.)
- A. Narita, I. A. Verzhbitskiy, W. Frederickx, K. S. Mali, S. A. Jensen, M. R. Hansen, M. Bonn, S. De Feyter, C. Casiraghi, X. Feng, K. Müllen, Bottom-up synthesis of liquid-phase-processable graphene nanoribbons with near-infrared absorption. ACS Nano, 2014, 8, 11622–11630. (Highlighted in Synfacts, 2015, 11, 0036.)
- Y. Hu, X.-Y. Wang, P.-X. Peng, X.-C. Wang, X.-Y. Cao, X. Feng, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Benzo-fused double carbohelicene: synthesis, structures, and physicochemical properties. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 3374–3378.
- A. Keerthi, B. Radha, D. Rizzo, H. Lu, V. Diez Cabanes, I. C.-Y. Hou, D. Beljonne, J. Cornil, C. Casiraghi, M. Baumgarten, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Edge Functionalization of Structurally Defined Graphene Nanoribbons for Modulating the Self-Assembled Structures. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 16454–16457.
- G. M. Paternò, Q. Chen, X.-Y. Wang, J. Liu, S. G. Motti, A. Petrozza, X. Feng, G. Lanzani, K. Müllen, A Narita, F. Scotognella, Synthesis of Dibenzo[hi,st]ovalene and Its Amplified Spontaneous Emission in a Polystyrene Matrix. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 6753–6757.
- X.-Y. Wang, A. Narita, K. Müllen, Precision synthesis versus bulk-scale fabrication of graphenes. Nat. Rev. Chem., 2017, 2, 0100.
- Y. Hu, P. Xie, M. De Corato, A. Ruini, S. Zhao, F. Meggendorfer, L. A. Straasø, L. Rondin, P. Simon, J. Li, J. J. Finley, M. R. Hansen, J.-S. Lauret, E. Molinari, X. Feng, J. V. Barth, C.-A. Palma, D. Prezzi, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Bandgap Engineering of Graphene Nanoribbons by Control over Structural Distortion. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018, 140, 7803–7809.
- Q. Chen, L. Brambilla, L. Daukiya, K. S. Mali, S. De Feyter, M. Tommasini, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Synthesis of Triply Fused Porphyrin-Nanographene Conjugates. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 11233–11237. (Highlighted in Synfacts, 2018, 14, 1032.)
- M. Slota, A. Keerthi, W. K. Myers, E. Tretyakov, M. Baumgarten, A. Ardavan, H. Sadeghi, C. J. Lambert, A. Narita, K. Müllen, L. Bogani, Magnetic Edge States, Spin Dynamics and Coherent Manipulation of Molecular Graphene Nanoribbons. Nature 2018, 557, 691–695. (Highlighted in News and Views, Nature, 2018, 557, 645–647.)
- X.-Y. Wang, J. I. Urgel, G. B. Barin, K. Eimre, M. Di Giovannantonio, A. Milani, M. Tommasini, C. A. Pignedoli, P. Ruffieux, X. Feng, R. Fasel, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Bottom-Up Synthesis of Heteroatom-Doped Chiral Graphene Nanoribbons. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2018, 140, 9104–9107.
- O. Gröning, S. Wang, X. Yao, C. A. Pignedoli, G. Borin Barin, C. Daniels, A. Cupo, V. Meunier, X. Feng, A. Narita, K. Müllen, P. Ruffieux, R. Fasel, Engineering of robust topological quantum phases in graphene nanoribbons. Nature 2018, 560, 209–213. (Highlighted in News and Views, Nature, 2018, 557, 175–176.)
- S. Zhao, J. Lavie, L. Rondin, L. Orcin-Chaix, C. Diederichs, P. Roussignol, Y. Chassagneux, C. Voisin, K. Müllen, A. Narita, S. Campidelli, J.-S. Lauret, Single photon emission from graphene quantum dots at room temperature. Nat. Commun. 2018, 9, 3470.
- Q. Chen, D. Wang, M. Baumgarten, D. Schollmeyer, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Regioselective Bromination and Functionalization of Dibenzo[hi,st]ovalene as Highly Luminescent Nanographene with Zigzag Edges. Chem. Asian J. 2019, 14, 1703–1707. (Highlighted in ChemistryViews; Special Issue: π‐Conjugated Compounds for Molecular Materials)
- X. Yao, X.-Y. Wang, C. Simpson, G. M. Paternò, M. Guizzardi, M. Wagner, G. Cerullo, F. Scotognella, M. D. Watson, A. Narita, K. Müllen, Regioselective Hydrogenation of a 60-Carbon Nanographene Molecule toward a Circumbiphenyl Core. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 4230–4234. (Highlighted in ChemistryViews.)
- Q. Zhong, Y. Hu, K. Niu, H. Zhang, B. Yang, D. Ebeling, J. Tschakert, T. Cheng, A. Schirmeisen, A. Narita, K. Müllen, L. Chi, Benzo-Fused Periacenes or Double Helicenes? Different Cyclodehydrogenation Pathways on Surface and in Solution. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 7399–7406.