MS Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Japan, 2010
BS Chemistry, University of Tokyo, Japan, 2008
Akimitsu Narita was born and raised in Yokohama, Japan. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Chemistry at the University of Tokyo under the supervision of Professor Eiichi Nakamura. He then joined Professor Klaus Müllen's group at the Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research (MPIP) in Mainz, Germany and obtained his doctorate in Chemistry from Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz in 2014. In the same year, he became a project leader in the Synthetic Chemistry Department at MPIP. In 2018, he joined OIST as an Assistant Professor (Adjunct) to lead the Organic and Carbon Nanomaterials Unit. He is now working full-time as an Assistant Professor at OIST since 2020.
- Assistant Professor, Organic and Carbon Nanomaterials Unit, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Japan, 2020-present
- Part-Time Group Leader, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany, 2020-present
- Assistant Professor (Adjunct), Organic and Carbon Nanomaterials Unit, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University, Japan, 2018-2020
- Project Leader/Group Leader, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany, 2014-2020
- Doctoral Researcher, Synthetic Chemistry Department, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany, 2010-2014
- Runner-Up, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Prizes 2014 (Selected as one of the 10 finalists in the prize category “Promising Research Talent” and achieved the 2nd position.), 2014
- CSJ Presentation Award, the 96th Annual Meeting of the Chemical Society of Japan (CSJ), 2016
- The Chemical Society of Japan Award for Young Chemists for 2017
- S. Mishra, X. Yao, Q. Chen, K. Eimre, O. Gröning, R. Ortiz, M. D. Giovannantonio, J. C. Sancho-García, J. Fernández-Rossier, C. A. Pignedoli, K. Müllen, P. Ruffieux, A. Narita,* R. Fasel,* Giant magnetic exchange coupling in rhombus-shaped nanographenes with zigzag periphery. Nature Chem. 2021, 13, 581–586.
- E. Jin, Q. Yang, C.-W. Ju, Q. Chen, K. Landfester, M. Bonn,* K. Müllen,* X. Liu,* A. Narita,* A Highly Luminescent Nitrogen-Doped Nanographene as an Acid- and Metal-Sensitive Fluorophore for Optical Imaging. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2021, 143, 10403–10412. (Highlighted in Synfacts, 2021, 17, 1093.)
- X. Yao, W. Zheng, S. Osella, Z. Qiu, S. Fu, D. Schollmeyer, B. Müller, D. Beljonne, M. Bonn, H. I. Wang, K. Müllen,* A. Narita,* Synthesis of Nonplanar Graphene Nanoribbon with Fjord Edges. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2021, 143, 5654–5658.
- Z. Qiu, C.-W. Ju, L. Frédéric, Y. Hu, D. Schollmeyer, G. Pieters,* K. Müllen,* A. Narita,* Amplification of Dissymmetry Factors in π-Extended - and Helicenes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2021, 143, 4661–4667.
- Z. Qiu, S. Asako,* Y. Hu, C.-W. Ju, T. Liu, L. Rondin, D. Schollmeyer, J.-S. Lauret, K. Müllen,* A. Narita,* Negatively Curved Nanographene with Heptagonal and Helicene Units. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 14814–14819.
- Journal of Materials Chemistry C Emerging Investigators 2019: Q. Chen, W. Zajaczkowski, J. Seibel, S. De Feyter, W. Pisula,* K. Müllen,* A. Narita,* Synthesis and helical supramolecular organization of discotic liquid crystalline dibenzo[hi,st]ovalene. J. Mater. Chem. C 2019, 7, 12898–12906.
- Q. Chen, D. Schollmeyer, K. Müllen,* A. Narita,* Synthesis of Circumpyrene by Alkyne Benzannulation of Brominated Dibenzo[hi,st]ovalene. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 19994–19999.
- Q. Chen, L. Brambilla, L. Daukiya, K. S. Mali, S. De Feyter, M. Tommasini, K. Müllen, A. Narita, Synthesis of Triply Fused Porphyrin-Nanographene Conjugates. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 11233–11237. (Highlighted in Synfacts, 2018, 14, 1032.)
- O. Gröning, S. Wang, X. Yao, C. A. Pignedoli, G. Borin Barin, C. Daniels, A. Cupo, V. Meunier, X. Feng, A. Narita, K. Müllen, P. Ruffieux, R. Fasel, Engineering of robust topological quantum phases in graphene nanoribbons. Nature, 2018, 560, 209–213. (Highlighted in News and Views, Nature, 2018, 557, 175–176.)
- G. M. Paternò, Q. Chen, X.-Y. Wang, J. Liu, S. G. Motti, A. Petrozza, X. Feng, G. Lanzani, K. Müllen, A Narita, F. Scotognella, Synthesis of Dibenzo[hi,st]ovalene and Its Amplified Spontaneous Emission in a Polystyrene Matrix. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2017, 56, 6753–6757.
- A. Narita, X. Feng, Y. Hernandez, S. A. Jensen, M. Bonn, H. Yang, I. A. Verzhbitskiy, C. Casiraghi, M. R. Hansen, A. H. R. Koch, G. Fytas, O. Ivasenko, B. Li, K. S. Mali, T. Balandina, S. Mahesh, S. De Feyter, K. Müllen, Synthesis of structurally well-defined and liquid-phase-processable graphene nanoribbons. Nature Chem., 2014, 6, 126–132. (Highlighted in News and Views, Nature Chem., 2014, 6, 91–92.)