2003 – 2004 Master of Arts degree in Population Biology from University of California at Davis
1996 – 2000 Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology and Ecology from Simon's Rock College
Fyodor started his research career in the year 2000 in the lab of Eugene Koonin at NCBI, NIH after his BA degree. The main focus of his research was evolutionary genomics and bioinformatics. In 2003 Fyodor continued on to University of California at Davis graduating with an MA degree. In 2005 with the help of an NSF Graduate Fellowship he started his PhD in University of California at San Diego graduating in 2008. During the course of his PhD, Fyodor became interested in field work in the Arctic working with endangered endemic bird species, which continues to be an important aspect of his research.
After starting his lab in 2008 at the Centre for Genomic Regulation, Fyodor began to combine theoretical, computational and experimental biology. Over the years, Fyodor’s work morphed into an interdisciplinary concoction of interwoven research directions. Combining theory, computation, field work, experimental and synthetic biology approaches, the work of the Evolutionary and Synthetic Biology Unit strives, in equal measure, to understand the evolution of living forms and to use that understanding to design novel biological systems.
- 2017 – on leave Professor, IST Austria
- Since 2012 Scientific Director of the School of Molecular and Theoretical Biology
- 2011 – on leave ICREA Research Professor at the CRG
- 2008 – 2017 Junior Group Leader at the Center for Genomic Regulation
- 2012 – 2017 Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Early Career Scientist Award
- 2011 – 2013 EMBO Young Investigator Award
- 2010 The Theodosius Dobzhansky Prize from the Society for the Study of Evolution
- Gonzalez Somermeyer L, Fleiss A, Mishin AS, Bozhanova NG, Igolkina AA, Meiler J, Alaball Pujol ME, Putintseva EV, Sarkisyan KS, Kondrashov FA. Heterogeneity of the GFP fitness landscape and data-driven protein design. Elife. 2022 May 5;11:e75842
- Rella SA, Kulikova YA, Dermitzakis ET, Kondrashov FA. Rates of SARS-CoV-2 transmission and vaccination impact the fate of vaccine-resistant strains. Sci Rep. 2021 Jul 30;11(1):15729.
- Mitiouchkina T, Mishin AS, Somermeyer LG, Markina NM, Chepurnyh TV, Guglya EB, Karataeva TA, Palkina KA, Shakhova ES, Fakhranurova LI, Chekova SV, Tsarkova AS, Golubev YV, Negrebetsky VV, Dolgushin SA, Shalaev PV, Shlykov D, Melnik OA, Shipunova VO, Deyev SM, Bubyrev AI, Pushin AS, Choob VV, Dolgov SV, Kondrashov FA, Yampolsky IV, Sarkisyan KS. Plants with genetically encoded autoluminescence. Nat Biotechnol. 2020 Aug;38(8):944-946
- Pokusaeva VO, Usmanova DR, Putintseva EV, Espinar L, Sarkisyan KS, Mishin AS, Bogatyreva NS, Ivankov DN, Povolotskaya IS, Filion GJ, Carey LB, Kondrashov FA. (2019) Experimental assay of a fitness landscape on a macroevolutionary scale. PLoS Genet. 15(4):e1008079
- Sarkisyan KS, Bolotin DA, Meer MV, Usmanova DR, Mishin AS, Sharonov GC, Ivankov DN, Bozhanov NG, Baranov MS, Soylemez O, Bogatyreva NS, Vlasov PK, Egorov ES, Logacheva MD, Kondrashov AS, Chudakov DM, Putintseva EV, Mamedov IZ, Tawfik DS, Lukyanov KA, Kondrashov FA. (2016) Local fitness landscape of the green fluorescent protein. Nature. 533, 397-401.
- Moroz LL, Kocot KM, Citarella MR, Dosung S, Norekian TP, Povolotskaya IS, Grigorenko AP, Dailey C, Berezikov E, Buckley KM, Ptitsyn A, Reshetov D, Mukherjee K, Moroz TP, Bobkova Y, Yu F, Kapitonov VV, Jurka J, Bobkov YV, Swore JJ, Girardo DO, Fodor A, Gusev F, Sanford R, Bruders R, Kittler E, Mills CE, Rast JP, Derelle R, Solovyev VV, Kondrashov FA, Swalla BJ, Sweedler JV, Rogaev EI, Halanych KM, Kohn AB. (2014) The ctenophore genome and the evolutionary origins of neural systems. Nature. 510, 109-114.
- Breen MS, Kemena C, Vlasov PK, Notredame C, Kondrashov FA. (2012) Epistasis as the primary factor in molecular evolution. Nature 490, 535-538
- Kondrashov FA (2012). Gene duplication as a mechanism of genomic adaptation to a changing environment. Proc Biol Sci. 279, 5048-5057
- Innan H, Kondrashov FA (2010) The evolution of gene duplications: classifying and distinguishing between models. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11, 97-108
- Povolotskaya IS, Kondrashov FA (2010). Sequence space and the ongoing expansion of the protein universe. Nature. 465, 922-926
- Meer MV, Kondrashov AS, Artzy-Randrup Y, Kondrashov FA (2010). Compensatory evolution in mt-tRNAs navigates valleys of low fitness. Nature. 464, 279-282
- Jordan IK, Kondrashov FA, Adzhubei IA, Wolf YI, Koonin EV, Kondrashov AS and Sunyaev S. (2005) A universal trend of amino acid gain and loss in protein evolution. Nature 433, 633-638.
- Kern AD and Kondrashov FA (2004) Mechanisms and convergence of compensatory evolution in mammalian mitochondrial tRNAs. Nature Genetics 36, 1207-1212
- Kondrashov FA and Koonin EV. (2004) A common framework for understanding the origin of genetic dominance and evolutionary fates of gene duplications. Trends in Genetics 20, 287-290
- Kondrashov FA, Rogozin IB, Wolf YI and Koonin EV. (2002) Selection in the evolution of gene duplications. Genome Biology 3, research0008.1-0008.9
- Kondrashov FA and Kondrashov AS. (2001) Multidimensional epistasis and the disadvantage of sex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 98, 12089-12092
- Kondrashov AS and Kondrashov FA. (1999) Interactions among quantitative traits in the course of sympatric speciation. Nature 400, 351-354.