Contact & FAQ
- Email: dynamics.interfaces [at] oist.jp
- Mail: 1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0415 JAPAN
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I attend the workshop?
You have to apply in order to be considered for participation in the workshop. Please use the link to the application page to proceed with your application. Applications received by January 31, 2014 will be evaluated and ranked by the organisers, and the final list of selected participants will be posted on the website on February 15, 2014. Selected participants will be contacted by the OIST Workshop Section to initiate travel arrangements for workshop attendance.
2. Who can apply?
Undergraduate/ Msc/ PhD students, post-docs and researchers at universities or academic/ industrial institutions. It is assumed the workshop topic is of relevance to the applicants' research. Preference is given to students and young researchers in the preparatory stage of their career; women and applicants from developing nations are particularly encouraged to apply.
3. Are there any application or registration fees?
There is no application or registration fee to attend the workshop. If your application is among the ones selected for workshop attendance, OIST will help with travel arrangements.
4. Is any support available for travel and stay?
OIST will handle the logistics of accommodation, travel and meals for all workshop participants. All local costs (housing, meals) will be fully supported by the workshop, and travel funds can be requested during the application process.
5. Can participants present at the workshop?
All participants are encouraged to submit an abstract. The organisers will select a few abstracts for contributed talks, and the rest will be poster presentations.
OIST Workshop section will arrange flights for invited speakers and participants receiving travel support.
- Bureau de Change: No Currency exchange service is available at either Naha airport or OIST. An automated money exchange machine is located at the Rizzan Sea Park Hotel (5 min. drive from OIST campus and 7 min. drive from OIST Seaside House). Money Exchange in your country or at major airports (Narita/Kansai/Nagoya) is strongly recommended.
- ATMs: ATMs for credit card cashing are available in Naha Airport or nearby post offices/ some convenience stores. Please be advised that some credit cards might not be accepted due to credit card policy. (In most cases, credit cards issued abroad)
Average temperature in June is 23-31 Celsius. It can rain heavily sometimes and be very humid as June is rainy season.
OIST Workshops are usually performed in informal style (no suit and tie), thus please feel free to dress casually and travel light.
The AC outlet in Japan is 100 volt, and fits plugs with two parallel blades (Type A). Please check if the AC adapter of your laptop is compatible with Japanese style and bring a plug adapter or a voltage converter if necessary.
ACCOMMODATION, MEALS & TRANSPORT
- All invited speakers will be housed at the Rizzan Sea Park Hotel located in Onna-son, Okinawa (5 min. drive from campus).
- The hotel offers free wired internet facility. Ethernet cables are provided in each room. In the event the wired internet does not work, you can request for a WiFi access router at the front desk.
- All participants will be housed at the OIST Seaside House located in Onna-son, Okinawa (5 min. drive from campus).
- Break fast for invited speakers will be served at the Rizzan Sea Park Hotel. Shuttle to the OIST Campus will leave daily from Rizzan Hotel entrance at 0845 Hrs.
- Break fast for participants will be served at the OIST Seaside House daily morning starting 0700 Hrs. Shuttle to the OIST Campus will leave daily from OIST Seaside House entrance at 0845 Hrs.
- Lunch will be served at the Level B Cafeteria (next to B250 Seminar Room) on OIST Campus daily at 1210 Hrs.
- Dinner will be served at the Chura Dining Hall, OIST Seaside House daily at 1830 Hrs. Shuttle from OIST Campus to Seaside House will leave daily from OIST entrance at 1700 Hrs.
FACILITIES AT THE SEASIDE HOUSE
- Internet: Wireless Internet available in public space. Wired LAN is available in guest rooms.
- Amenities: Shampoo & rinse, body soap, toothbrush set, hair dryer and room slippers.
- Laundry rooms: equipped with washer-dryers, detergent and ironing board sets.
- Phones: Public phone available in the lobby area. Calling card is required to make a domestic/international phone call. You may wish to purchase international calling cards at major airport as they are not provided at Seaside House. Some credit cards work by entering your credit card numbers and PIN code. Phone equipped in each guest room is for in-house calls only.
The OIST campus is situated on a hill overlooking the East China Sea along Route 58. It is roughly equidistant between the Rizzan Seapark Resort Hotel and the OIST Seaside House. Walking time from Hotel or Seaside House to campus is roughly 20 - 30 minutes. Please refer to the access map below (also available at: http://www.oist.jp/access-map)