FAQ & Useful Links
Regarding the workshop
Where will the workshop take place?
- Conferece center, OIST Onna-son Okinawa
What poster size should I use for my poster presentation?
All participants of the poster sessions should bring posters of standard A0 size at portrait orientation. Please, note that the workshop cannot provide printing services.
Is there a dress code for the workshop?
OIST workshops are usually performed in informal style (no suit and tie); thus, please feel free to dress casually and travel light.
Travel Information- Accommodation
If I arrange transportation myself, what is the most convenient way?
The closest airport to OIST is Naha airport (OKA). Participants will need to make their own travel arrangements. However, transportation from and to Naha Airport will be provided by the workshop team; therefore, please, contact the secretariat and let us know regarding your travel arrangements asap.
Where will I stay during the workshop?
Most of participants will stay at OIST's seaside house located 15-20 minutes walk from the workshop venue. OIST will provide transportation to and from the seaside house.
Some participants (PIs) will stay on-campus housing.
List of room amenities can be found here.
How about food?
Food and drinks will provided throughout the duration of the workshop. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions.
What will the weather be like?
Daytime temperatures in March average around 18 degrees Celsius (64 degrees Fahrenheit), with highs around 22 and lows around 14 degrees. The weather in March is a bit unpredictable, with some days sunny and summer-like and others much cooler. Keep a jacket handy.
Do I need an adapter for my electronic devices in Japan?
The AC outlet in Japan is 100 volt, and fits plugs with two parallel blades (Type A). Please check if the AC adapter of your laptop is compatible with Japanese style and bring a plug adapter or a voltage converter if necessary.
Where can I exchange money during the workshop?
- Unfortunately, there is no currency exchange service at OIST, but Naha airport has a currency exchange machine and the following currencies can be exchanged at the machine: US Dollar (USD), Euro (EUR), Chinese Yuan Renminbi (CNY), South Korean Won (KRW), New Taiwan Dollar (TWD), Hong Kong Dollar (HKD), British Pound (GBP), Australian Dollar (AUD), Canadian Dollar (CAD), Singapore Dollar (SGD), Baht (THB). The opening hours are weekdays and weekends: 7:00-23:00. It is strongly recommended that you exchange currency in your own country or at major airports (Narita/Haneda/Kansai/Nagoya).
- ATMs: ATMs for credit card cashing is available at OIST, AEON near village office. Please be advised that some credit cards might not be accepted due to credit card policy (mostly credit cards issued abroad).
Is there something I cannot bring with me to Japan?
Please, be aware of Japanese laws and regulations regarding the import of animals or animal products into Japan (more information here). Also, the law about medicines and drugs in Japan may be different than your homecountry, so, please, check whether (and how) it is permitted to bring medicines with you. You can read more information here, or ask us if you have specific enquiries.
General touristic information
Famous touristic attractions
- Churaumi Aquarium
- Shuri Castle
- Ryukyu Mura
- Onna Village Beach information: Nabee beach, Sunmarina beach, Moon beach, Tiger beach, Mission beach, Manza beach, Busena Marine Park
Transportation within Okinawa
- Okinawa Airport Shuttle (Naha airport > Onna village > Churaumi Aquarium)