Information for FPUA2019 participants
- The only airport on Okinawa is in Naha (OKA), and it has many direct connections daily from Taipei, Hongkong, Shanghai, Seoul and many cities on the Japanese mainland.
- The big hotels in Onna-son (closest to OIST) are served by the Airport Limousine Bus Service. Information about the exact routes and fares can be found here. Tickets for the bus can be bought from the Airport Limousine Counter on the 1st floor in the Domestic Terminal.
- For people arriving at Naha airport after the last limousine bus has left (around 7pm), we will organize a bus leaving the airport at 9pm, 10pm and 11pm and servicing all the hotels in the Onna area and Seaside House. Please let us know if you require this by February 14th, so that we can organize a bus of appropriate size.
- Taxis can be found outside the airport terminal and the one-way fare to Onna-son is about 13.000 JPY during the day.
- A large number of car rental companies operate in Okinawa. Note that if you do not have a Japanese driving license, you need to find out of an international driving licenses from your home country is accepted in Japan. OIST will have reserved parking for the conference participants.
- If you are staying in OIST accommodation at Seaside House, you will have to either take a taxi from the Limousine bus stop at Rizzan Sea Park Hotel (price for taxi is less than 1000 JPY) or take the local bus No.120 (see details here) from the airport to the stop in front of Seaside House (シーサイドハウス)See here for how to take a bus in Okinawa.
- A large number of hotels can be found around OIST, which can be booked directly or via any large hotel-booking website. For example
- Renaissance Resort (Area B for limousine bus)
- Hotel Moon Beach (Area B/C)
- Hotel Monterey Okinawa Spa & Resort (Area C)
- Sheraton Okinawa Sun Marina Resort (Area C)
- Rizzan Sea Park Hotel Tancha-Bay (Area C)
- ANA International Continental Manza Beach Resort (Area C/D)
- Hyatt Regency Seragaki Island Okinawa (Area C/D)
- Okinawa Kariyushi Beach Resort Ocean Spa (Area D)
- The Busena Terrace Beach Resort (Area D)
- Okinawa Marriott Resort and Spa (Area D)
*Area A,B,C and D indicate the Airport Limousine Bus service area.
- A number of Airbnb places operate around Onna-son as well.
- If you are a student and staying in OIST accommodation "OIST Seaside House", please note that these are shared rooms. If you have a preference for sharing with another participants, please feel free to let us know. However, we need to hear from both participants who are willing to share. *Check-in: February 28th (Thu) / Check-out: March 5th (Tue)
Around Onna-son a large number of restaurants for all different tastes can be found. Note that the daily lunches will be provided and on Saturday evening the poster session is combined with the conference banquet.
The conference fee has to be paid at registration, either in cash or by credit card.
The excursion will take part on Sunday 3rd in the afternoon and visit Okinawa Expo Park, Churaumi Aquarium and Nakijin Castle Ruins. Busses with guides will bring you around. We do not charge a fee for this excursion, however the entrance fees for the aquarium and the castle ruins will come to 1850 JPY. Please let us know by Feb 14th if you plan to attend the excursion.
Poster boards are of standard vertical A0 size.
The daily talks and presentations will be given in Lecture Hall B250 at OIST campus. Signage from all entry points of the campus will lead you there.
OIST is best reached by taxi from the majority of the hotels. However, we will also have reserved parking on campus available. Due to countryside location of the campus, public transport is unfortunately infrequent and mostly insufficient.