Application for Domestic Visitors
Open Call for Domestic Visitors
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) is inviting applications for Domestic Visitors (currently working in Japan).
OIST's Visiting Program was launched in June 2021, with the goal of bringing leading researchers to OIST for extended visits. In keeping with OIST's interdisciplinary mission, the program spans all sciences represented at OIST.
Visitors will have the opportunity to carry out independent research at OIST, and to interact with one or more OIST Research Units during their stay. Domestic visits will usually last 2 weeks to 3 months, and can be split into several shorter visits. The visitor is expected to arrange their own travel to Okinawa, while accommodation and office space at OIST is provided free of charge. In exceptional situations, where the applicant does not receive any travel support from grants or their home institution, successful candidates may apply for travel support from OIST, where this is necessary to facilitate the visit. No teaching duties come with the position. However, visitors are expected to give a research seminar within the first month of their visit.
OIST is an institution with no departments, which aims to eliminate barriers between people working in different fields. We are an equal opportunity educator and employer and are working actively toward increasing the diversity of our faculty, students, staff, and visitors. We have implemented policies to promote a diverse, inclusive, and family-friendly culture. These include supporting dual career couples, gender neutral facilities, “stop the clock” options, and on-site child care. Further details can be found at https://www.oist.jp/.
OIST is actively seeking applications from women and underrepresented groups.
OIST is deeply committed to the advancement of diversity in science, in Japan and worldwide. Please contact us at tsvp [at] oist.jp if you have any questions or concerns.
Applicants should hold a Ph.D. in a relevant field and be independent researchers, i.e., should have an academic standing equivalent to senior postdoc, junior group leader, or faculty member at a research-intensive institution. Exceptions can be made for scientists with a proven potential to soon become independent researchers. The Domestic Program is intended for researchers working in Japan at the time of their proposed visit.
Applicants should submit:
- a CV including a list of publications;
- a proposal of no more than one page containing a brief description of the proposed research during the visit to OIST, including the research units the applicant is interested in interacting with;
- a title and abstract for a research seminar. Proposals for additional outreach activity, general-audience talk, short courses for graduate students, or career talks are welcome;
- proposed schedule for the visit: applicants pick one of the available time slots and indicate how long and how many times they propose to visit OIST during this time window. Available time slots are listed below
- statements of support of a few sentences from two OIST Principal Investigators (requested through Interfolio)
All visits are subject to the availability of housing.
Available time slots
|September - November 2024
|December 2024 - March 2025
Application through Interfolio
Rolling Deadline: Application is possible at any time. Selection will be made at least twice per year in July and January. Please make sure that you can receive emails from tsvp [at] oist.jp and noreply [at] interfolio.com.
- Scientific quality
- Benefit to OIST, e.g. through interactions with and across OIST Units
- Interdisciplinary nature of OIST
- Considerations of diversity and spread of academic career stages
- Planned outreach and teaching activity, e.g. general-audience lectures, seminars, (mini) courses, career talks, activities for children/at schools
Informal inquiries are welcome: please contact Dr. Jonas Fischer at tsvp [at] oist.jp.