Lars-Göran Öfverstedt, Staff Scientist
As you might recognize from my name, I’m from Sweden. I got my PhD in Biochemistry in 1983, but I soon thereafter got more interested in structural biology, especially electron tomography. I started to collaborate with Ulf Skoglund and joined his group at Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, in 1992. We started to implement new software to improve reconstructed 3D maps. The successful application of these computer programs is well documented in a number of publications and the development of the software in terms of stability, accuracy and speed has continued throughout the years .
At present, my focus is, besides electron microscopy, implementation of new algorithms for 3D map improvements.
Gunnar Wilken, Staff Scientist
I am German and joined the Structural Cellular Biology Unit in 2011.
I received my Diplom, PhD, and Habilitation in mathematics from the University of Münster, Germany. My background is mathematical logic, in particular proof theory. Before coming to OIST I was postdoctoral fellow at the Ohio State University, USA, invited researcher at Ghent University, Belgium, and researcher at the University of Münster. Here at OIST I became also interested in mathematical biology and inverse problems, in particular electron tomography.
Reetesh Raj Akhouri, Staff Scientist
Endang Rinawati Purba, Postdoctoral Scholar
I’m from Jawa-Indonesia. I obtained my PhD in Biomedical Chemistry (2015) at Kwansei Gakuin University of Japan. I joined OIST as a Postdoc from 2015. During that time, my focus is in membrane protein structural study of receptors protein. Now, I moved to Structural Cell Biology Unit and started to learn something totally different: Cryo-electron Tomography. My concentration for now is helping my team to visualize individual molecules, whether in tissue or purified protein to describe the dynamics of the different molecules and to support the software development projects that will enable for higher resolution. I'm also interested in membrane trafficking protein in nervous system. I believe that impossible is nothing!
Hong Huat Hoh, Junior Research Fellow
Born and raised in Malaysia, I pursued medical study in Poland after high school and before moving to Okinawa to transition into research. I have recently graduated with a PhD (August 2020) in the field of molecular oncology. I am currently exploring and further expanding my interest in the world of biological molecules by studying membrane proteins using structure prediction tools as well as molecular electron tomography.
Qingyuan Tian, Specialist
I am from China where I received both my undergraduate degree in Automation Control and my Master E. in Computer Science and Technology in Tsinghua University. In March, 2015, I joined this research unit as a programmer, to add new functions and upgrade our in house molecular electron tomography (MET) software. Before this work, I had mainly three kinds of work experience: 1, An IT specialist in the Tax Bureau in my hometown in Hubei province, China; 2, A language information processing researcher in Beijing Language and Culture University (including one year’s visiting research in the University of Tokyo); 3, A software architect in a software development company in Japan. Now I am enjoying the challenging and interesting work here in OIST. I am grateful to be here. My hobbies are cooking, hiking, and Tai-Chi.
Shizuka Kuda, Research Administrator
I am originally from Okinawa, but studied in Kumamoto and USA for long time.
Received BA in Business Administration from WSU-Cougars, worked as Procurement Specialist in USNH and Account Reps at Insurance Company in USA.
I’ve been with Structural Cellular Biology Unit since the Unit started in 2010 and really glad to be assisting Unit Members.
- Kim Keon Young, Rotation Student. Sept. 2019 ~ Dec. 2019.
- Helena Chan, Postdoctoral Scholar. July 2016 ~ Dec. 2019.
- Bill Söderström, Postdoctoral Scholar. Oct. 2014 ~ Sept. 2019; Staff Scientist. Oct. 2019 ~ Dec. 2019.
- Maipas Aisulu, Rotation Student. April 2019 ~ July 2019.
- Miko Yamazawa, Research Intern. February 2019 ~ April 2019.
- Julian Katzke, Rotation Student. September 2018 ~ December 2018.
- Cassie-Marie Peigné, Postdoctoral Scholar. April 2016 ~ August 2018.
- Evropi Toulkeridou, Graduate Student.
- Tracy Audisio, Rotation Student. September 2017 ~ December 2017.
- Setsuko Nakanishi, Staff Scientist. January 2015 ~ December 2016.
- Yumiko Mishima, Staff Scientist. September 2011 ~ September 2014.
- Pan Soonsawad, Postdoctoral Scholar. September 2013 ~ May 2014.
- Hirotoshi Furusho, Technician. July 2011 ~ May 2015.
- Jakub Kolodziejczyk, Technician. May 2012 ~ July 2014.
- Faisal Mahmood, Graduate Student. September 2012 ~ March 2017.
- Märt Toots, Graduate Student. September 2012 ~ June 2017.
- Ruby May Andales, Technician. April 2013 ~ September 2014.
- Kenneth Baughman, Rotation Student. September 2012 ~ December 2012.
- Nino Espinas, Rotation Student. January 2013 ~ April 2013.
- Simon Peter Mekhail, Rotation Student. September 2013 ~ January 2014.
- Farzana Rahman, Rotation Student. January 2014 ~ April 2014.
- Hong Huat Hoh, Rotation Student. January 2016 ~ April 2016.
- Jiafu Zeng, Research Intern. October 2015 ~ March 2016.
- Olivia Leavitt, Research Intern. March 2014 ~ June 2015.
- Reetesh Akhouri, Visiting Researcher. October 2013 ~ October 2014.
- Lennart Svensson, Visiting Researcher. October 2013 ~ December 2013.