From July 26, 2021, Japan has started accepting applications for so-called vaccine passports from people who have been fully inoculated against COVID-19.
What is Vaccine Passport?
Vaccine Passport enables peoples who have been fuly inoculated againt CCOVID-19 to travel internationally to certain destinations without having to quarantine.
Currently Japanese government only provide paper version of the passport, but they are aiming to introduce digital version in the future.
Which country accept Vaccine Passport?
Countries accept vaccinae passport are (As of July 28th, 2021):
- Korea (Vaccine Passport can be used as one of the documents to request exempt from a 14-day quarantine)
Please check below website for updated information
What kind of information does the Vaccine Passport include?
Vaccine Passport includes following information both in Japanese and English
- Date of birth
- Passport number
- Type of vaccine
- Date of inoculations
- The mininipality where it was issued
Sample of the Vaccine Passport (Click to enlarge)
Who can apply for the Vaccinaion Passport?
- People who have received the both first and second vaccination at the municipality or workplace mass vaccination.
- People who has plan to visit the country where they accept the Vaccination Passport within one month,
Therefore, following people can not apply the Vaccine passport
- People who have received the vaccitionation outside of Japan, or in the US base can not apply.
- People who has no plan to visit the other countires (for now)
How do I apply for the Vaccination Passport?
Vaccine passport will be issued by village/town office or city hall of your municipality
People who have been fully inoculated can apply for vaccine passports at the municipal office where their residency is registered, and they are advised to apply when they plan to travel abroad.
- Visit the municipal office and fill out the application form along with the copy of the required documents.
- Submit the envelope with a postal stamp to be used to mail back the vaccine passport.
- Once the Vaccination Passport is issued, municipal office will mail it to your address
Please except to receive the Vaccine Passport in 5-10 days.
*Receiving the Vaccine Passport in person might be available as well.
What documents do are rquired for application?
- Vaccine Passport application form (which can be obtained at the municipal office)
- Valid Passport
- Vaccination voucher with the proof of vaccination
(if the applicant has lost their voucher, a document with My Number information)
Sample of the Vaccination Voucher (Click to enlarge)
Current situation of municipality around OIST
Please call the village office before visiting them
Has not start accepting the application
If you have plan to visit the countires where they accept the vaccination passport, please contact the village office and make a reservation.
Yomitan Village office will call you when they start the application
Please visit the main city hall to apply
Other Q and A
Would Japan’s vaccine passport holders be exempt from a 14-day quarantine when they return to Japan?
No. Japan’s maintains stringent border controls — with only citizens and foreign residents, as well as some foreign nationals under exceptional circumstances, being allowed entry — and holders of the Japanese document will still need to prepare for strict quarantine measures after re-entering the country.
Under Japan’s current border control measures, all people entering the country must submit negative results from coronavirus tests taken within 72 hours prior to their departure for Japan and observe a 14-day self-isolation period either at home or in part at government-designated facilities.
Will there be an expiration date for the vaccine passports?
No. The government says it’s up to destination countries to decide how to treat the information given in the vaccine passport.
Please contact the Resource Center if you need any support getting the Vaccine Passport.