Car title transfer (名義変更)
If you are buying a car from a dealership, all the paperwork will be handled by the dealership. However, when buying a car from a private person, you will need to deal with the procedure to change the ownership of the car. The procedure is called "Car title transfer" or 名義変更 in Japanese.
There are two ways to transfer the car title:
Changing the car title by yourself
If you choose to deal with the procedure by yourself, you will need to collect all the paperwork, and visit the respective office depending on the vehicle type you are buying.
- If you are buying a yellow-plate car (or a kei-car/light-sized car), you will need to visit the Light Motor Vehicle Inspection Association located in Urasoe city to complete the paperwork.
- If you are buying a white-plate car (or a regular-sized car), you will need to visit the Land transportation office located in Urasoe city to complete the paperwork.
Please see below for the detailed instructions:
Buying a yellow-plate car
- Required documents
- Shaken Inspection Certificate (車検証) from the previous owner
- Buyer's residence certificate(住民票抄本) (the one issued within 3 months)
- Both the buyer's and the seller's inkans (personal seals)
- Letter of Attorney (委任状) *Fill in this form and stamp both the buyer's and the seller's seals beforehand (signature will do if inkans are not available) if both or either cannot go to the office in person.
- "OCR application form format#1" *Get this document at the Light Motor Vehicle Inspection Association
- Report of light-sized vehicle tax*Get this document at the Light Motor Vehicle Inspection Association