Applying for Certificate of Eligibility and Visa

For Yourself

Upon closure of the employee agreement, OIST will contact you to prepare a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) application. This certificate is a requirement when applying for a visa in Japan. We will send you the two-page application form via email. Fill in the application form and send it back to us with all other necessary documents. The CoE application procedure might differ depending on your country and situation. Please follow the instructions from the Relocation Team to complete the form.

Necessary documents

  • An application form
  • 1 standard photo (4cm×3cm): white background, no head covering; must be taken not more than 6 months before the application.
  • 1 photocopy of your valid passport photo page.

When your CoE is ready, we will send it to you via FedEx or EMS. After receiving it, you need to go to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country to apply for a visa to work in Japan.

The visa application can take up to 4 weeks, and fees may vary depending on the country in which you live. If you have further inquiries, please contact the OIST Relocation Team or the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in the country of your residence.

For Dependents

Spouses and children of OIST employees also need to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility to obtain an appropriate visa to stay in Japan. There is a specific application form for dependents to apply.

Depending on your nationality and situation, other documents might be required. Please consult the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your country.

For an Unmarried Partner/Parents/Relatives

The unmarried partner/parents/relatives of an OIST employee may only apply for a “Temporary Visitor” Visa. The Japanese government does not allow unmarried partners/parents/relatives to obtain a visa to live in Japan. The “Temporary Visitor” Visa doesn’t require a Certificate of Eligibility, but it allows the individual to stay in Japan for a maximum of 90 days. Please contact the Immigration Office in Japan or the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your home country for further information.