M.Ph. Medicinal Chemistry (Leiden University, 2007)
Master Degree (Laurea) Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology (Milan University)
I am an organic chemist with broad interests in biochemistry and protein evolution. I was born and grew up in Italy. After pursuing a master in medicinal chemistry in the Netherlands, I started my doctoral studies in organic chemistry in ETHZ (Switzerland). During my PhD I moved to Max Plank Institute (Germany) along with my mentor and there finished my doctoral studies. As postdoctoral fellow I spent the last four years studying enzyme evolution and engineering in Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel).
- OIST Kick-start Fund (2019-21)
- JSPS grant, Kakenhi Early Career Scientist (2018)
- FGS-Weizmann Institute of Science, Senior Post Doctoral Fellowship (2015)
- Federation of European Biochemical Societies, FEBS Long Term Fellowship (2012-13)
- European Molecular Biology Organization, EMBO Long Term Post Doctoral Fellowship (2012) (Declined)
- RTG1976 Symposium (Freiburg, Germany), SUBSTRATE VARIABILITY in Cofactor dependent Enzymes, Invited Speaker, (2018)
- EMBO workshop, Enzymes, Biocatalysis and Chemical Biology: The new frontiers (Italy), Invited Speaker (2018)
- EMBO Conference, Chemical Biology 2018 (Germany), Abstract selected for a talk (2018)
- The Fifth International Conference on Cofactors and Active Enzyme Molecule (Japan), Invited Speaker (2016)
- Weizmann Institute of Science, Chemical Biology Seminary (2015)
- The Fourth International Conference on Cofactors (ICC-04, Italy), Abstract selected for a talk (2014)
- Gordon Research Conference, Enzyme, Coenzyme and Metabolic Pathways (USA), Abstract selected for a talk (2014)
- Federation of European Biochemical Societies, 38th FEBS Congress “Mechanism in Biology” (Russia), Abstract Selected for a talk (2013)
- Chouhan, B. P. S.; Maimaiti, S.; Gade, M.; Laurino, P.* “Rossmann-fold Methyltransferases: taking a ‘beta-turn’ around its cofactor S-Adenosyl Methionine” Biochemistry, 2019, 58, 166-170.
- Laurino P., Tawfik D.S. Spontaneous Emergence of S-Adenosylmethionine and the Evolution of Methylation. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2017, 56, 343-345. This article has been recommended in F1000Prime as being of special significance in its field.
- Laurino P., Tóth-Petróczy Á., Meana-Pañeda R., Lin W., Truhlar D.G., Tawfik D.S. An Ancient Fingerprint Indicates the Common Ancestry of Rossmann-Fold Enzymes Utilizing Different Ribose-Based Cofactors. PLoS Biol. PLoS Biology 2016, 3, e1002396.