Okinawa Environmental Research Support Section
The Okinawa Environmental Research Support Section (OERSS) has launched since April 2019.
This new section includes the network with the Okinawa society, environmental observation networks, and experienced teams supporting those functions, which developed through the OKEON Churamori Project (https://okeon.unit.oist.jp/). We are supporting the terrestrial field surveys and its system conducted in Okinawa. We also aim to contribute to the sustainable development of Okinawa through environmental research and education.
- Provision of support for terrestrial fieldwork in Okinawa
- Maintenance and management of common equipment for terrestrial fieldwork
- Develop, manage, and facilitate the use of the Okinawa Environmental Observation Network (OKEON)
- Maintenance and management of equipment for OKEON
- Execute and manage long-term data collection and sample storage for OKEON
- Contribution to the sustainable development of Okinawan communities utilizing OKEON data, human resources, and collaborative network
Current service for OIST researchers
- Information and network provision and paperwork support for permissions required for terrestrial field sampling in Okinawa Prefecture
- Coordination with the local community to conduct field survey in Okinawa Prefecture
- Providing information about the OKEON Churamori project study area
- Providing supports for field survey in the OKEON Churamori Project study areas
- Return, promotion and its coordination of the academic outputs related to the OKEON Churamori Project to Okinawa society
A field sampling of the Economo Unit research project was conducted and field members from the Okinawa Environmental Research Support Section (OERSS) provided its support.
The Japanese bento that they ate in the field and the Okinawa-style Zenzai (sweet red bean paste over the shaved ice) that they enjoyed at the end of the hard work were also very popular with foreign researchers!
Science workshop "The Biodiversity Around Us and Invasive Species" was held at Okinawa Prefectural Library
On Sunday, September 22, 2019, a science workshop "The Biodiversity Around Us and Invasive Species " was held at the Okinawa Prefectural Library in Naha City.
Even though it was shortly after the typhoon, some participants visited the library for this event.