Postdoc and Scientist Positions
Topology and Geometry of Manifolds Unit invites applications for two Postdoctoral Scholar and two Scientist positions.
Update: The positions have been filled. Please check for more potential openings next year.
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) is a research institute and a PhD school, beautifully situated on the tropical island of Okinawa, Japan. Outstanding graduate students and faculty are being attracted internationally. OIST is an institution with no departments, aiming to eliminate barriers between people working in different fields. The concentrations include Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences. OIST provides a family-friendly working environment including the multilingual Child Development Center, and has proactive policies designed to promote a culture of diversity. OIST is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer. Further details can be found at www.oist.jp.
- The candidate must have a clear research plan, and be able to achieve research objectives.
- Must be willing to contribute to Topology and Geometry of Manifolds group meetings, and to mentoring student research. The students are either PhD students, or gifted undergraduate students interning at OIST.
- The candidate is expected to be in residence for the time of appointment. Conference travel is encouraged, and travel support is provided.
- We are seeking highly motivated researchers. The positions do not carry teaching duties.
- Applicants are required to have completed Ph.D. in Mathematics by the time of appointment. For Postdoctoral Scholar positions, PhD should be awarded not earlier than August 2012 (childbirth or illness may warrant an exception). For Scientists, there is no limit for the number of years after PhD. If needed, a Scientist position can be taken while on an unpaid leave from a position at another institution.
- Excellent oral and written English. No Japanese is required, though Japanese language courses are offered to employees and their families. The Topology and Geometry of Manifolds unit is supported by a bi-lingual (English/Japanese) research administrator.
For Postdoctoral Scholars: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years, starting September 2017. There might be an opportunity to renew it for one or two more years.
For Scientists: Full-time, fixed term appointment for a term from six months to two years (at least one year is preferred), with a flexible starting date.
The salary is complemented by allowances (see below), and is internationally competitive.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances in addition to the salary.
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays.
- Health insurance, welfare pension insurance, worker’s accident compensation insurance.
Application Documents (all in English)
- Research Statement and Plan (one document)
- For Postdoc positions, finalists might be asked to submit 3 reference letters.
Please apply by sending your application materials to email@example.com. Inquiries may be directed to Dr. Anastasiia Tsvietkova and/or to the same email address.
The review of applications will start on December 1, 2016, and will continue until the positions are filled.