Apply for the Diversity Impact Fund
Valuing diversity and inclusion means that we embrace access to success for all members of the OIST community. By creating an environment that is attractive to and supportive of all employees and students, we honor our differences and demonstrate our commitment to treating everyone with fairness and respect, irrespective of the group with which they identify.
The OIST Diversity Impact Fund was created and initially funded by the first ever OIST award for diversity and inclusion advocacy. In 2018, OIST was chosen for this honor by The Optical Society, a professional organization that unites scientists, engineers, technicians, educators and business leaders worldwide to foster and promote professional development.
The purpose of the OIST Diversity Impact Fund is to inspire individuals and/or organizations at OIST to identify creative ways to make OIST more diverse. Projects celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion will be provided funds to make educational, cultural and/or social opportunities available to members of OIST or the broader Okinawan community. Funding will be given for activities that cannot be pursued through the use of government subsidy funding. Donations will also be accepted to this pool of funds through the Giving to OIST page..
- All OIST members are eligible to submit an application for funding.
- Only those projects that cannot be completed with subsidy funding will be considered.
- Grants of up to 30,000 yen will be given.
- Those who accept the funds must submit short summary of their activities upon completion of the project.
- Quality of the project
- Feasibility of the project, the timeline and the requested budget
- Breadth of impact (i.e., how many people or different groups will benefit)
- Management and implementation plan
The Gender, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee will review the applications and vote to award the funding based on the impact of the proposed initiative. Applications will be accepted three times annually: February 1, June 1 and October 1. Applications will be reviewed at the Gender, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee. Individuals whose projects are selected will be notified via email.
Who to contact
For questions about this fund or the application, please contact Diversity Community Services at UCS.Diversity@oist.jp