August 30, 2019
Purpose of the committee
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) Gender, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (GEDI) promotes an environment where everyone can reach their full potential, regardless of gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, medical condition, race, ethnicity, ancestry, culture, national origin, religion, or marital status. The GEDI Committee was created in August, 2019 to replace the Gender Equality Committee.
Role of the Committee
The GEDI Committee examines, assesses and develops OIST activities, policies, processes, and publications in order to identify and recommend opportunities to build a more equitable, diverse and inclusive environment at OIST. They also work with divisions and sections at OIST to create and implement policies and programs. Committee members consider international best practices in conducting their work.
(1) List of Members:
- Vice President for University Community Services (Chair)
- Vice President or Associate Vice President of Human Resources
- Dean of Faculty Affairs
- Dean or Vice Dean of Graduate School
- Faculty* (2 appointed by Dean of Faculty Affairs)
- Graduate Students* (2-3 nominated by Graduate Student Assembly)
- OIST Researcher Community (ORC) Members* (2-3 nominated by ORC)
- Administrative staff* (2-4 nominated/appointed by the Chair)
*All attempts will be made to ensure diverse representation of committee members
(2) Terms of Service for the members:
- 2-year terms renewable for a second term (for up to 4 continuous years); every attempt shall be made to stagger the membership changes to ensure continuity and expertise on the committee.
- Standing members (i.e., those appointed because of their position) remain as long as they hold the position.
Operation of the Committee
The Vice President for University Community Services currently chairs the Committee. The Chair is appointed by the President.
The Committee meetings are open to all OIST employees and students, in principle. Members are welcome to invite other interested OIST colleagues, as appropriate and by approval of the Chair. OIST community members may also be requested to attend meetings, depending on the agenda. The Chair may request to hold a members-only closed session.
The GEDI Committee typically meets 10-12 times per year, usually monthly. The committee reaches decisions and conclusions on a consensus basis as a rule.
The secretariat of the GEDI Committee shall be placed in the Diversity Section. The secretariat is responsible for managing the Committee including the maintenance of official records of Committee activities.