We will introduce basic concepts of flow of fluids. We will discuss conservation laws and constitutive equations. We will derive the Navier-Stokes equations, and study its exact and approximate solutions. Last, we will introduce the theory of hydrodynamic stability and then discuss turbulent flows. Throughout the course we will discuss a wide spectrum of flows from nature and engineering.
- Overview of fluid mechanics
- Kinematics of flow
- Review of Tensors and the Stress Tensor
- Conservation Laws: Mass, Momentum, and Energy
- Constitutive Equations: the Navier-Stokes Equations, Boundary Conditions.
- Potential Flows
- Vortex motion
- Dimensional analysis and similarity
- Exact solutions of viscous flows
- Creeping Flows
- Boundary Layers
- Hydrodynamic Stability
- Turbulent flows
Prerequisite is A104 Vector and Tensor Calculus