Travel and Immigration Information
You apply for a Special Re-Entry Permit at the airport immigration office when you depart from Japan. Please note the Special Re-Entry Permit is valid for just one year from the departure date, and you must come back to Japan within one year.
If you leave Japan for more than one year, you need to apply for a Re-Entry Permit at your local immigration office, not at the airport.
If your Residence Card expires before the expiry date of your Re-entry permit, you must come back to renew it.
Please view the following information to learn more: How to Obtain the Special Re-entry permit by filing out the disemberkation card
Border Measure (January 10, 2023 Updates)
Temporary measures are currently being applied to those who are entering Japan from China.
- After 00:00 JST on January 12th, 2023, all those who are entering Japan via a direct flight from China (including Macau, excluding Hong Kong) are required to obtain a certificate of Pre-departure Test.
- Please check here. By January 11th, 2023, all those who are entering Japan via a direct flight from China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau) are required to obtain a certificate of Pre-departure Test. Please check here.
To learn more: COVID-19: Current Japanese Border Measures
Denial of the Enter and Re-entry from Countries/Regions with High Concern of COVID-19 Variants
Currently, there are no countries or regions subjected to denial of entry and re-entry.
(MOFA) Denial of the re-entry from certain countries/regions among designated countries/regions in response to COVID-19 variants of special treatment on border measures (New)
Resuming Cross Border Travel
From October 11, 2022, arrival test, quarantine after arrival, non-use of public transport are not required unless a traveler has suspected symptoms of COVID-19.
On the other hand, all travelers require to show either a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate or a certificate of negative test result of pre-departure COVID-19 test.
a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate (3 doses) of vaccines on the Emergency Use List of World Health Organization (WHO)
a certificate of negative result of pre-departure COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to departing from the original country/region
Downloads (Required Documents/Apps)
1. The certificate must be issued by a government or public institution
2. The items must be indicated in Japanese or English
3. The certificate must clearly show that you have received 3 doses of any of the following vaccines on the Emergency Use Listing of World Health Organization (WHO)
COVID-19: Certificate of Pre-departure test
All entrants including Japanese citizens who do not have a valid vaccination certificate must be tested within 72 hours of departure.
Those who are unable to present a valid vaccination certificate or a valid certificate of inspection will not be allowed to enter Japan, as based on Quarentine Law.
Test Declaration Form *Traveler from China only
A Traveler from China requires Test Declaration Form as well as Test Certificate when the designated format can not be used.
To learn more: https://www.cn.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_zh/00_000485_00186.html
Everyone must submit Questionnaire at Japanese quarantine. Please be sure to use cooperate to use the "Fast Track" via Visit Japan Web to submit it.