After overviewing various interesting quantum materials and their unique functionalities, this course will introduce the concept of materials design and its realization in bulk single crystal growth and epitaxial thin film growth. Then, the principles of single particle spectroscopy will be introduced, particularly focusing on photoemission and tunneling spectroscopy. This course is ideal for students interested in both crystal growth and spectroscopy in quantum materials science.
During this course, several lectures by external scientists and engineers from R&D companies will be arranged. Also, “4. Group discussion and presentations based on recent literatures” and “6. Experiencing quantum materials growth and their characterization” will be arranged acording to circumstances and students' preference.
- Overview of recent interests in quantum materials
- Materials design concepts and various growth methods
2-1. bulk single crystal growth
2-2. epitaxial thin film growth
- Single particle spectroscopies
3-1. electronic states in momentum space
3-2. electronic states in real space
3-3. heterogeneous electronic states
- Group discussion and presentations based on recent literatures
- Lecture by external speakers
(Lectures will be invited from R&D companies)
- Experiencing quantum materials growth and their characterization
(This will be flexibly arranged depending on attendee’s preference)
Undergraduate level of condensed matter physics