Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, High Attestation Comission of Azerbaijan Republic, March 31 1995
Ph.D. Soviet Union Academy of Sciences, USSR November 29, 1988
Professor Ugur Abdulla received Ph.D. in Mathematics from Soviet Union Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Physical & Mathematical Sciences degree from High Attestation Comission of the Azerbaijan Republic, Habilitation Doctor degree in Mathematics from Saxon Ministry of Art and Sciences in Germany. He was a Royal Society Research Professor at the University of Nottingham in England, Alexander von Humboldt Fellow at the Universities of Paderborn, Bremen and Bonn in Germany, and Max-Planck Research Fellow at the Max-Planck Institute for Mathematics in Natural Sciences in Leipzig , Germany. Prior joining OIST, he was a Professor of Mathematics at the Florida Institute of Technology, United States in 2004-2022. Professor Abdulla is an expert on Partial Differential Equations, Potential Theory, Calculus of Variations & Optimal Control, and Mathematical Biosciences with 62 scholarly publications. He solved an outstanding open problem posed by Kolmogorov in 1928, and proved the Wiener-type criterion at infinity for the second-order elliptic and parabolic PDEs. Professor Abdulla supervised 12 Ph.D. students.
Dr Abdulla is married and has five children. He is fluent in Azerbaijani, English, German, Russian and Turkish languages. His hobbies are reading, listening to music, hiking and various sport activities. He was a national champion and a member of the Azerbaijani national team in free style wrestling.
- Professor, Florida Institute of Technology, USA 2004-2022
- Professor and Head of the Mathematical Sciences Department, Florida Institute of Technology, USA 2013-2019
- Visiting Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA 2012
- Visiting Professor, University of Bonn, Germany, 2008
- Max Planck Research Fellowship, Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in Natural Sciences, Leipzig, Germany, 2000-2002
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship, University of Padeborn (1998-2000), International University of Bremen (summer of 2004); University of Bonn (summer of 2008)
- Royal Society Research Fellowship, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, 1996-1998
- U.G. Abdulla, Wiener’s Criterion at ∞ for the Heat Equation, Advances in Differential Equations, 13(5-6), (2008), 457-488.
- U.G. Abdulla, Wiener’s Criterion for the Unique Solvability of the Dirichlet Problem in Arbitrary Open Sets with Non-Compact Boundaries, Nonlinear Analysis, 67(2), (2007), 563-578.
- U.G. Abdulla, Regularity of ∞ for elliptic equations with measurable coefficients and its consequences. Discrete Contin. Dyn. Syst. 32 (2012), no. 10, 3379–3397.
- U.G. Abdulla, Removability of the Logarithmic Singularity for the Elliptic PDEs with Measurable Coefficients and its Consequences, Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations, 57, (6), (2018), 57-157.
- U.G. Abdulla, Wiener's criterion at ∞ for the heat equation and its measure-theoretical counterpart. Electron. Res. Announc. Math. Sci. 15 (2008), 44–51.
- U.G. Abdulla, First Boundary Value Problem for the Diffusion Equation. I. Iterated Logarithm Test for the Boundary Regularity and Solvability, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 34(6), (2003), 1422–1434.
- U.G. Abdulla, Well-posedness of the Dirichlet Problem for the Nonlinear Diffusion Equation in Non-smooth Domains, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 357(1), (2005), 247–265.
- U.G. Abdulla, On the Dirichlet problem for the nonlinear diffusion equation in non-smooth domains, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 246, 2, 2001, 384-403
- U.G. Abdulla, Reaction-diffusion in nonsmooth and closed domains. Bound. Value Probl. 2007, Art. ID 31261, 28 pp.
- U.G. Abdulla and J. King, Interface Development and Local Solutions to Reaction-Diffusion Equations, SIAM J. Math. Anal., 32(2), (2000), 235-260.
- U.G. Abdulla, Evolution of interfaces and explicit asymptotics at infinity for the fast diffusion equation with absorption. Nonlinear Anal. 50 (2002), no. 4, Ser. A: Theory Methods, 541–560.
- U.G. Abdulla, Reaction-diffusion in irregular domains. J. Differential Equations 164 (2000), no. 2, 321–354.
- U.G. Abdulla, Reaction-diffusion in a closed domain formed by irregular curves. J. Math. Anal. Appl. 246 (2000), no. 2, 480–492.
- U.G. Abdulla, Multidimensional Kolmogorov-Petrovsky test for the boundary regularity and irregularity of solutions to the heat equation. Bound. Value Probl. 2005, no. 2, 181–199.
- U.G. Abdulla and B. Poggi, Optimal Stefan Problem. Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations 59, 61(2020)
- U.G. Abdulla and R. Poteau, Identification of Parameters in Large-scale Kinetic Models, Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 429, 15 March 2021, 110026.
- U.G. Abdulla and E. Cosgrove; Optimal Control of Multiphase Free Boundary Problems for Nonlinear Parabolic Equations, Applied Mathematics and Optimization, Volume 84, 2021, 589-619.
- U.G. Abdulla and A. Abuweden; Interface development for the nonlinear degenerate multidimensional reaction-diffusion equations. Nonlinear Differential Equations and Applications NoDEA. February 2020, 27:3.
- U.G. Abdulla and R. Jeli, Evolution of interfaces for the non-linear parabolic p -Laplacian type reaction-diffusion equations. European J. Appl. Math. 28 (2017), no. 5, 827–853.
- U.G. Abdulla and B. Poggi; Optimal control of the multiphase Stefan problem. Applied Mathematics and Optimization. 80, 2(2019), 479-513.
- U.G. Abdulla and R. Poteau; Identification of parameters in systems biology. Math. Biosci. 305 (2018), 133–145.
- U.G. Abdulla and J.M. Goldfarb; Frechet differentiability in Besov spaces in the optimal control of parabolic free boundary problems. J. Inverse Ill-Posed Probl. 26 (2018), no. 2, 211–227.